Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking XP Computers using Linksys router

• Please log in to reply

dstegall77

dstegall77

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to network two computers (XP Home) using a Linksys wireless router WRTG54GS. One computer is wireless while the other is wired. On the wireless I can see the other computer but cannot access it, tells me it is not accessible. From the wired computer I cannot even see the other computer.

Is there a setting in the router to allow networking and file sharing?

I simply want to do file and printer sharing. I cannot ping the wired computer from the wireless computer but I can ping the wireless computer from the wired one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dstegall77, 02 October 2005 - 09:25 PM.

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Sounds more like a firewall blocking you. Try disabling any software firewalls on the PCs and then pinging and file sharing.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
ensure both systems have file/printer sharing enabled, if both have XP-SP2, then the XP firewall will have these listed under exceptions.

ensure your WORKGROUP name is the same between the systems and that both computers have different names

dstegall77

dstegall77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks to both of you. Looks like things are good to go. I can access the other computer now.

Now I just have to get my wife and kids to keep their files in the appropriate directory structure so I can back it up!

Thanks again.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Glad you got it working!