Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

registry restore points

• Please log in to reply

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I have had trouble trying to use system restore to restore to a prior version of the registry. I can create restore points and restore to them, but if I try to go back a couple of days or so, it looks like it is doing the restore but then I get a message saying I can not restore to that point. I am beginning to wonder if my restore points are getting corrupted some how.

Is there a way I can tell if that is the problem, if so how?

Thanks, Fay

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't like system restore, so I have it off.
To backup my registry I open it (read you other post so I know you can do that) right click "My Computer" and press export and save it where ever I what it. Very quick and and super easy to restore, you just have to double click the file and press yes.

System restore also backs up files and I would rather that if I just what to restore my registry not to do that. To backup files I use something like Acronis True Image of Norton Ghost.

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I was not aware that System Restore did anything with files. When I create a restore point or do a restore I do not see anything about files. What files does it backup/restore?

Thanks, Fay

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It backups up some system files, not realy needed.
In the run box sfc /scannow dose a far better job if you just what to fix system files.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 02 October 2005 - 10:18 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
System Restore has saved my %#$* a few times, so I let it run on the OS partition, but with less space, so that I have fewer Restore Points to choose from. (I wouldn't want to go back too far anyway!) SR only protects Windows files, not any data or email. Sometimes SR will say "could not restore" because no changes were detected to restore to. SR points are cumulative, so it might be a good idea to delete all but your last one, or shut the service off, then turn it back on to clear it.

If you can be specific about what you want to restore in the registry, we can probably help you do it without having to rely on SR.

Johanna

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Johanna,

I was able to use RegEdit and restore what I needed to. I am taking a class on editing the registy. Was not able to get the restore to work using a restore point I wanted to use. No one in the class could tell me why. I have had the same thing happen before. It is not important for me to be ale to do it at this time, but it might be at some point in the future.

Was just trying to figure out why some of the restore points do not work.

Thanks, Fay

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
System Restore points are cumulative. Today's restore point will depend on yesterday's to be accurate. Now and then, Restore Points become corrupted. If you turn SR off and then on, you delete all your RPs and start fresh. You can also delete all RPs but your last one. RPs are alloted a great deal of space by default. I have mine turned down to 6% on my OS partition, and still have two weeks of restore points. As newer RPs are created, older ones are overwritten. If you think there is a problem with yours, and there may just be no changes to the system and that's why you are getting the "your system cannot be restored to the date", clear and start fresh.

Good luck with your classes. Taking initiative to learn is something to be proud of. Hang out with us on G2G, too, the conversation is never dull.

Johanna

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Johanna,

Thanks for the information. I will keep checking in on this web site to see what I can learn.

Fay