Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excal sent me here. >_>

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
nick_mi

That's what I wanted earlier....download this Driver Reset Tool and extract it to a folder on the HDD. It should run right after it finishes extracting...If it doesn't, double click dreset.msi file in the folder where you saved the package files

Driver Reset Tool is an application that will scan the system for malfunctioning drivers and reset such drivers to the original drivers available in the system.

wannabe1

Advertisements

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
K, if that don't work I'm reformatting, thanks for the help. <3

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before you reformat (if it comes to that) try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Hopefully the driver reset tool will do the trick...it's from Dell, btw.

wannabe1

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Well, that did not work either. Looks like I'm reformatting, man this is starting to make me angry :) :) :) :) :tazz: :) :) :) :) :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
nick_mi

A thought to consider. Because your cd-rom was not working at last report, you might want to go HERE and create a startup disk set on floppys...just in case , mind you.

If the cd drive still doesn't work after a reformat and install, I'd sure be giving Dell a call. (I'm personally leaning towards a bad drive...) With everything we checked and did, I can see no reason for that drive not to be working!

Sorry we couldn't get the darn thing working... :tazz: Let me know how you make out with the reinstall.

wannabe1

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Yeah, I'm on the phone with dell now(on hold actually) because I'm a noog and can't uninstall sp2, and I'd just rather go through it with them since I am still under warrenity.

I called them a couple days ago, and we went through a diagnostics, etc, and ran all these tests and the dude said the drive was fine. =/