Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Guild Wars Port

• Please log in to reply

nthn75075

nthn75075

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've got this netgear router, which basically blocks everything...
I know how to enable the port to allow me to play Guild Wars, but I'm curious about how prudent it would be to actually do so.
I've asked the people at netgear router, and they basically said open at your own risk.

Can you guys tell me how secure this port actually is?

Advertisements

nthn75075

nthn75075

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
heya, guys

Can, anybody give me any clues? I'm pretty clueless about this subject, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey nthn75075,

What port number are we talking about. (please don't post the port number here)
But you may want to google that port number to see if there are any know THREATS that are associated with that port.

Also you would want to know whether the software makes a connection as a TCP or UDP port.

As far as how secure the router is, well, it is only as secure as it is configured to be. If you open a port on a router, that port isn't secure at all. The rest of the router might be bulletproof, but anything can get through that open port. That's like asking how secure an open door is........ :tazz:

But hey you're asking questions...so... :)

Edited by brianmil0923, 11 October 2005 - 02:36 PM.