Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing Problem

• Please log in to reply

nypsych

nypsych

• Pip
  • 3 posts
For the last week or so, I have been unable to print on my Dell Dimension 4400 computer - which has otherwise been fine for several years. I get an error message from Microsoft, suggesting that I download an update for "10/100 Ethernet adapter an983.sys, and telling me to find an update at microsoft updates - which doesn't exist.

When I try to print, or even run a test page, the computer just reboots!

Any suggestions?

Edited by nypsych, 02 October 2005 - 10:53 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check if there are more recent printer drivers and software from the manufacturer's site, if so, use add / remove to uninstall the printer software

Go to Printers anf faxes to uninstall the printer, run disc clean up the disc defragmenter, install the printer drivers and software, reboot

Either the update at Microsoft is one of the optional harware ones, or you can check with the manufacturer's site for updates

nypsych

nypsych

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Check if there are more recent printer drivers and software from the manufacturer's site, if so, use add / remove to uninstall the printer software

Go to Printers anf faxes to uninstall the printer, run disc clean up the disc defragmenter, install the printer drivers and software, reboot

Either the update at Microsoft is one of the optional harware ones, or you can check with the manufacturer's site for updates

View Post

Solved the problem!

I uninstalled Norton Internet Security, while leaving Norton Antivirus in place. Voila! Fixed!

(What a pain in the neck)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting what it was

Did you replace the firewall

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

nypsych

nypsych

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank You for posting what it was

Did you replace the firewall

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

View Post

I turned off the Norton Firewall and turned on the Microsoft firewall. In addition, I have a US Robotics broadband router which serves as a firewall. The response from Microsoft after the reboot was all wrong.