Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Internet Explorer Completely

• Please log in to reply

Elite[sS]

Elite[sS]

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I was just wondering since a lot of problems and errors are caused by internet explorer, if there is a way to remove it or delete it completely. If it is possible please post how to do it! Thanks!

Advertisements

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
I dont think that is such a good idea! IE is needed for Windows Updates! So better leave it aside and use some other browser and when it comes to windows updates use IE! :tazz:

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Like game freak said, internet explorer is needed for windows update. If you do want to delete internet explorer completely, here is how to do it:

Start-->control panel-->software-->add/remove windows parts-->now select internet explorer in that list and click ''next''.

I'm not 100% sure if I translated these instructions correct. This is because I am currently running a XP macine in Dutch.

Edited by Emery Herman, 03 October 2005 - 04:46 AM.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
I am saying NOT to remove IE! It might be a risk but comes in handy! For eg: some sites dont display properly on Firefix and opera but on IE it does! :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It would break you computer, a lot more relaies on it then you know about. Xp would be unuseable with out it.

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
That's not true.

I have a 100% stable running machine with xp installed without IE. It works great.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Emery Herman:
I am going to hazard a guess and say you have "hidden" IE with the method described above. Removing IE will break XP. IE, properly configured, is a functional convenience. Almost all webpages are accessible in IE. Until Firefox has the universal function IE has, there is no substitute.

Johanna

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
IE is closely integrated with the entire OS...It does a lot of other things besides just being a web browser...I highly doubt you have completely extracted IE from XP..may be hidden as Johanna said.

IE works in unison with explorer to provide the shell that XP users work through.
I believe IE is needed to display pics (other than bmp files) such as jpeg, gif...etc.

Below is something I copied from a site dealing with this topic.....

Impacts of removing Internet Explorer from Windows
You are advised not to uninstall Internet Explorer, because:

1. Many web sites are programmed to work only with Internet Explorer. For example, webmasters authoring a site may have not tested with other web browsers. Some webmasters may not be familiar with WC3 standards or taken the time to program their site so it is universally acceptable by all browsers. Probably 95% of all websites on the Internet should work with Mozilla browsers, but there it a site is not compatible it may appear distorted or inaccessible unless IE is used as a browser.

2. Windows Update (WU) requires Internet Explorer. As an alternative, you may be able to manually download security updates, but it will require more monitoring and work than letting WU handle this for you.

3. Some Anti-Virus Products require IE for updates. Live updates or automatic DAT updates used by both Norton and McAfee are built on Internet Explorer's foundation. You may be able to manually update your virus signature files but it could require more work.

4. Both removing and restoring IE is risky and difficult. IE is complex with extensive hooks built into Windows, for efficiency and functionality. Thus unplugging it from your system may impact Internet connectivity, Windows functionality, and break functionality in Microsoft Office and non-MS products.

5. IE is more than a browser, it is the foundation for Internet functionality in Windows. If you compare the install base for IE 6 SP1 (43.5MB) to FF (4.5MB), it provides an indication IE is more than just a browser.

Elite[sS]

Elite[sS]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Okay but I only use FireFox, and sometimes use Netscape and plus I get updates through a program that was already installed on my computer when I bought it from Dell. My friend told me you can get a lot of worms through your history and cookies that are collected over time on Internet Explorer, but anyway even if I wanted to remove it how could I? Because what Emery Herman said, I've tried a long time ago and its not there. Where else could I go to do it? :tazz:

Elite[sS]

Elite[sS]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Okay never mind, I have found the information I needed and I'm deciding not delete it, by the way just ignore my last post. Okay well thanks for the help guys! :tazz:

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
As a final note............

3rd party software many times relies on a WINXP program for the foundation of their software.
Some 3rd party browsers use portions of IE to perform some tasks...
3rd party File managers use explorer as a foundation....
and so on.

Believe me....The software that you are using under any version of Windows is relying on some ActiveX control or some other feature of Windows to perform their tasks efficiently. (Especially WinXP)

So deleting a Windows program completely should be investigated to the fullest extent.