Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New site - need advice

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, im gonna be hosting an online personals website soon from my bedroom (im sick of all the other ones, theres no way im paying, plus the chat features are rubbish).

I need good advice, im an adequete programmer and use SQL a lot. Im not so clued up on server things, and i believe the best way to learn is from other people and doing instead of reading text (some reading is obviously requiered :mad: ) .

What would be the best all round solution (judging cost, ease of use and stability)?

out of WindowsSE, Linux (slackware or fedora) or freeBSD or an unnamed solution?

and out of an old 2 processor server, a P3 1ghz, 1 gig ram and SATA working with P4, 2 gig ram and SATA and just buying space on a server?

Thanks guys!
Dave

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
I would just suggest you buy your own space on a server!

I mean, if you host your own website, you have to leave your internet on 24/7!

A good place is...

http://www.centricahosting.com

Thats what hosts my website Allsortshop.com!

Im with the £120 / yr package BUT!!! I buy my hosting from this company off ebay so i get all the stuff you get in the £120 / yr package + unlimited space etc for only £5.95 / yr.

If you want this go onto eBay and type website hosting and its the one for £5.95 buy it now, which is centrica hosting!

I would suggest that! :tazz:

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
i donno man...my isp is cheaper than that and i sleep with my thermaltake running (infact, the airflow keeps the door slightly open, u can feel the draft from the computers pumping out ait in my room.

So that web host is inefficiant...however someone else hosting would be better incase of a system failure

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
As this topic refers to an Adult orientated site, it is in breach of our TOS. This topic is therefore closed.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, im gonna be hosting an online unspecified website soon from my bedroom (im sick of all the other ones, theres no way im paying, plus the unspecified features are rubbish).

I need good advice, im an adequete programmer and use SQL a lot. Im not so clued up on server things, and i believe the best way to learn is from other people and doing instead of reading text (some reading is obviously requiered :mad: ) .

What would be the best all round solution (judging cost, ease of use and stability)?

out of WindowsSE, Linux (slackware or fedora) or freeBSD or an unnamed solution?

and out of an old 2 processor server, a P3 1ghz, 1 gig ram and SATA working with P4, 2 gig ram and SATA and just buying space on a server?

As i cannot post the purpose of my website, i will be as vague as possible, itll be database heavy and will need to deal with mutlimedia (mainly images). It will probobly have alot of accounts and the database schema will need to change if it takes off.

It is NOT adult oriented in any way shape or form.

Thanks guys!
Dave

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Windows is the easiest to set up. Just install it, get a network card working in it, plug it in, give it a static IP address (assuming you're running it through a router), shove Apache or whatever on it, then PHP, MySQL and set them up to run at startup by dropping links into the Startup folder.

Only problem with this approach is that Windows will require a reboot every once in a while, though less of an issue with Windows 2000 and XP. You'll also need to keep an eye on the security aspects, Windows being Windows.

This depends entirely on what you want to do with it and how busy you think it's going to be. Heavy database access will consume a lot of processor time.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
After much discussion with the topic starter, it appears that his intent is to NOT start an adult oriented site. He will be posting soon with a much better description of what he is planning to do :tazz:

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
:tazz:

Thanks Kat.

Ok to describe my site, i would say it is a website where the user gets to make their own page about themselves their hobbies and interests. The website will provide chat and messaging. It will also provide a way to search for similar interests, region etc.

Anyhoo, the point was, maybe the name i used first was inappropriate.

In other news, me and kat are to be married.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Hmmm... you are marrying Kat? Well that explains why I went to the Godiva store today and they were SOLD OUT.

Johanna

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
ummmmmmmmmmmm :)

You're very welcome for opening your topic back up. I won't be marrying you though. :tazz: I highly doubt I'll be getting married to anyone again!! Thanks for the sweet comment :)

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
Kat!!! what about my proposal last night?!

[19:22] <Skate_Punk_21> Oh Kat please marry me!!! - Im worth millions of dollars! :)
[19:22] <Kat> DEAL!
[19:22] <Kat> hows next weekend?

See boys, shes taken :tazz:
/me steals La_Kat all for hisself

Edited by skate_punk_21, 04 October 2005 - 05:34 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
ohhhhhhhh you are SO gonna get it, Skate!!! Didn't you learn from this morning??? :tazz:

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
Do you really wanna bring this morning into the open forum? :tazz: lmao

Edited by skate_punk_21, 04 October 2005 - 05:38 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
*GULP* NO! :) :tazz:

but you know I :) you, Skate!! Sadly, I can't marry you either.

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
*Skate_Punk_21 does a dance! :tazz: truce accepted.