Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what our country is breeding us for

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
The U.S. claims to be breeding leaders not followers, CEOs not mail room attendants, yet these words below are listed as the ones to stay away from on a resume. correct me if i'm wrong, but, don't these words describe a leader to you?

Aggressive

Ambitious

Competent

Creative

Detail-oriented

Determined

Efficient

Experienced

Flexible

Goal-oriented

Hard-working

Independent

Innovative

Knowledgeable

Logical

Motivated

Meticulous

People person

Professional

Reliable

Resourceful

Self-motivated

Successful

Team player

Well-organized

(http://msn.careerbui...mp=JS_630_home1)

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Probably because all of those terms are very, very vague. If I'm hiring you, I want to know what you've done, not your opinion of yourself. I'll get that in the interview.

Show accomplishments, not adjectives. That's what the article was trying to get across.

But, dsenette, you're right. Those are great attributes of a leader, unfortunately I happen to agree that none of them belong on a resume. Patting yourself on the back is simply not what the resume is for.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yet while it should say what you have done you should also describe yourself and if you are trying to sell yourself you arent going to say you are a really boring i just do it cause it looks good on a CV. I dont know about anywhere else but when i applied to uni and was taught to wite my CV it said to use alot of those words as they are what describes a leader and fortunately i have evidence to back the fact up that i am a compotent leader. You also want to put across that you are a good team player.

You have a bit on a CV just to write about yourself seperate from qualifications and experince there is no point in another list of what you have done they want to know how you think and how confident you are, they want charismatic motivated people, its no longer enough just to be highly qualified, alot of the worlds most qualified people are essentially unemployable.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just want to clarify one thing......i'm not feeling well and i seem to have missed the part of that article that said not to use those words without backing them up....i appologize and hope that i throw up soon so that i can see if it makes my stomach feel better

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Yeah,the dope reading those words on your resume would know he's had it after hiring you.I like to think of a leader as an honest,moral working man,

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts

I like to think of a leader as an honest,moral working man,

View Post

Hmmmmm, thats an interesting concept, I suppose some of them must be though. :tazz:

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hmmmmm, thats an interesting concept, I suppose some of them must be though. :tazz:

View Post

:) my thoughts exactly. It seems that honesty and high morals values are very very low on the list of prerequisites for success as a leader of industry/politics. Sure, maybe they all start out that way but sooner or later the are going to need to do something underhanded in order to survive in their profession. To be the best requires a certain ruthlessness and a no-matter-what attitude that conflicts heavily with morals and such like.

Just my two penn'orth.

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
d'oh. My first double post.

mucho apologies

Edited by Baggyboy, 05 October 2005 - 12:44 PM.