Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winfixer popups [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
1. Copy and paste the contents of the code box to Notepad.
  • Save as go.txt
  • Save the file in C:\windows
attrib -r C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddabc.dll
attrib -h C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddabc.dll
del C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddabc.dll

2. REBOOT the computer using the XP CD.

You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to accessing the BIOS and changing the boot order.

3. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below:

(This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer):
  • To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
  • To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
  • To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
4. You want to Press R to enter the recovery console.

5. Once the Recovery Console has loaded and you are at a C:> prompt you are going to DELETE the file.

6. Type the following and press enter:

Batch C:\windows\go.txt (Note the space between Batch and the C)

If the batch works, you will get no error messages and you will be back at a C:> prompt. If you get an error message you need to post back with the message.

7. Remove the windows xp disk.

8. Type Exit to restart.

9. After the restart go back into HJT and place a checkmark beside the following items:

O2 - BHO: MSEvents Object - {6DD0BC06-4719-4BA3-BEBC-FBAE6A448152} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddabc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: ddabc - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddabc.dll

With all windows closed except for HJT, ckick Fix checked and EXIT the program

10. Reboot and post a fresh log.

Regards,

Trevuren

Advertisements

laweissman

laweissman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello Trevuren,

I copied the stuff in notepad and rebooted from the restore cd(s) that came with my computer (e-machines). I hit the R key and got a choice of a destructive restore or a non-destructive restore. There is no Recovery Console only a restore program. Nothing to enter, it runs by itself if you tell it to restore. What now?

Alex

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi Alex, before getting into this stuff too heavily, please try the following:

1. Using the Windows Search function, search for all instances of the following file:

hal.dll

2. Pleae post back the full path of all copies found, if any.

Regards,

Trevuren

laweissman

laweissman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I found 4 of them.

c:\windows\system
c:\windows\system32
c:\windows\I386\sp2.cab
c:\windows\driver cache\i386\sp2.cab

Sometime last week I deleted the hal.dll from the system and system32 and replaced them with new ones from the restore cd that came with my computer.

Alex

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
OK, now you have me totally confused. You replaced the offending file and didn't tell me and I am working on replacing a file that no longer needs replacing? Is that close?

Please tell me where you are and what you are doing, I cannot guess.

So can you boot into Safe Mode or not now?

Trevuren

laweissman

laweissman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Trevuran,

Sorry I didn't tell you everything, my wife says I do that to her also. Nothing I did helped anything. The popups are still here and the computer didn't shutdown without help last night. When I tried to access Geekstogo forum last night I got an error message: IPS Driver Error There appears to be an error with the database.
mySQL query error: SELECT id, name, mgroup, member_login_key, email, restrict_post, view_sigs,view_avs, view_pop, view_img, auto_track,

mod_posts, language, skin, new_msg, show_popup, mag_total, time_offset, posts, joined, last_post, subs_pkg_chosen,

ignored_users, login_anonymous, last_visit, last_activity, dst_in_use, view_prefs, org_perm_id, mgroup_others, temp_ban, sub_end,

We apologise for any inconvenience

Thanks,

Alex

I can't boot into the safe mode.

Edited by laweissman, 12 October 2005 - 05:49 AM.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Have you a lot of data that you bare to loose?

Regards,

Trevuren

laweissman

laweissman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think I backed up all my stuff I can't afford to lose. My documents, mail boxes and addresses, Internet Explorer favorites. Is there anything else I need to put on a CD? I have disks of all my programs.

Alex

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
You may as well do a complete reinstall of your system.

I wish things could have turned out differently but these bugs do a lot of dammage. At least your data is intact.

Follow the instructions you have to use your disks and reinstall your Operating System fully. Not just a repair. Please let me know how things went.
You may want to consider buying a disk imaging program like Acronis True Image (which I use) or Norton Ghost through which you can reinstall everything in a matter of an hour. Look into it. I use mine often.

Regards,

Trevuren

Edited by Trevuren, 13 October 2005 - 11:41 AM.

laweissman

laweissman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Trevuren,

I did a reinstall of WinXP and haven't gotten a winfixer popup yet. The only thing I'm having trouble with is my address book and mail boxes in Outlook Express. I found the address book but it's not in the right place and the mail boxes are not found as of yet. Do you know where they go when and if I find the mail boxes?

Thanks for all the help. I will now try to boot into the SAFE MODE. I'll let you know.

Alex

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Mine are under My Documents\Application Data\Microsoft

The address book is also under C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Microsoft\Address Book

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.