Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card installation problem

• Please log in to reply

garywsp

garywsp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I attempted to replace a Geforce2 MX400 card with a Radeon 9600 in my daughter's Athlon XP-1600+ system (SB Live!, 768MB ram, 40 GB and 60 GB hard drives). Unfortunately, I had neglected to first remove the original drivers before installing the Radeon. Problem: the catalyst installation wizard would abort, with the error "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup". THEN I removed the Nvidia drivers, rebooted, attempted to install, with same wizard abort.

Subsequently, control panel became corrupted (at least it would not launch), so I repaired/reinstalled win xp (which was SP2 at the time). I have not applied any service packs yet, so am currently at a '2600 build'. Control panel works fine at least. Computer does not recognize any display adapter, and appears to be in some sort of "VgaSafe" mode.

I have attempted to reinstall the old Geforce card, but ITS installation wizard fails as well. So I started all over again, removed in control panel all drivers. Attempted to reinstall the Radeon--wizard still aborts.

So I applied Driver Cleaner, against both Nvidia and ATI drivers. Ran the included "Cab Cleaner". Did this in Safe Mode, per instructions. Attempted to install Radeon card (which I would even remove from AGP slot, and reinstall), did this several times, each time I get the same ATI wizard abort.

Any advice at this time would be much appreciated. What more can I do? Does ATI have tech support, and might THEY know if I have am missing something completely trivial, or obscure for that matter? Thanks for any and all help.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Make sure that you have the latest drivers from ATI (make sure that you download the Control Panel not the Control Center). Hope that this helps.

PS: Try running the DriverCleaner in safemode to see if that uninstalles the drivers. Did you remove the old ones from the Control Panel, or the Device Mang??

garywsp

garywsp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I downloaded the larger package--the 27MB one. I just revisited the ATI site, and noticed that it said that I had to make sure that the Microsoft Net version 1.1 is installed--I did not wittingly do that. I don't receive any error, though, regarding that. The installation wizard just kicks out.

I used Driver Cleaner in Safe Mode, multiple times. I removed everything I could find in both device manager and add/remove utility of Control Panel. Did those in Safe Mode also.

I'm thinking now of going to Best Buy, trying a new Geforce 5700 card, and seeing if THAT will install. If so, I will return the Radeon (albeit still puzzled). If not, will return the Geforce and still be puzzled.

Thanks.

garywsp

garywsp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Update: SUCCESS! In frustration, I again "repaired" Windows XP. During the process, I was prompted for "viaagp1.sys". The previous time, I just cancelled out. This time, I went to my other comp and put it on a CD, and provided it at the prompt. After the repair and reboot, I loaded fresh VIA drivers, rebooted, and installed the card. Doh!

Thanks for all of the help.