Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TRANSFERRING PROGRAMS AND DATA BETWEEN 2 PC'S

• Please log in to reply

westendguy

westendguy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,
I just purchased a new computer and have to find a way to transfer the data, and if possible the programs also that are on the old computer so that I don't have to re-install all the programs over again.

Even if there is a good commercial program that completes these tasks i would be interested.

The old computer is running XP Home 1.3MHz 80 GB Hard Drive and the computer is a Pentium D 2.8 MHz dual processor with 160 GB drive. Lots of memory on both.

Please assist!
Thanks

Edited by westendguy, 03 October 2005 - 10:27 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
1) you could use a cross over cable and hook both computers through the network cards
Use backup and then restore to a new place
2) If you are not going to use the old computer again
You could take the hard drive out of the old computer put it in the new one as the master drive and the new drive as a slave
If you want to keep the old computer then put the old drive in as a slave on the new one then copy the files.
The programs have files in the registry and normally don't copy that well, they leave something.
3) you could use a program like ghost and take an image of your old drive and put it on the new drive, use a program like Touchstone Fastmove
Fastmove

westendguy

westendguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not real familiar with how to do option 1,
but I certainly would consider using the old drive as the slave and then copying it over from one drive to another. What would I have to do to have the the (pin settings?)computer recognize the old drive as the slave?

Also, is the a cable or another way to use the one monitor and have it split the screen while I have both of them hooked up for transfers if I go the route of a program?

The new comp didn't come with a monitor because I had a good one from the past.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you are not going to use the old computer why not make that your drive C ?

To make 2 drives work you have to look at the map on the drive it really depends on how old things are, but the basic steps are you change the jumpers on 1 drive to be master with slave. Then the other drive you change to be a slave via the pins. If you need help with this tell the make and model of your drives