Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2.0 to Firewire

• Please log in to reply

tennisplay

tennisplay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I have a USB 2.0 external device (a DVD writer), but I have only USB 1.1 support on my computer. I also have a firewire port on my computer. I would like to take advantage of the higher transfer speed of the firewire port. Is there a cable to go from the USB port on the device to the firewire port on my computer?

thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.pixela-1.com/capycable.htm <---this might work

edit: it may not...that one is only for DV and it's expensive plus
http://www.wisegeek....usb-adapter.htm this says that it's not technically possible to go from usb to firewire...no matter what

Edited by dsenette, 03 October 2005 - 11:29 AM.

tennisplay

tennisplay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, for the info, dsenette. Based on the comments from the second link, I think I will give this hub a try..

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817111714

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....that is the deal, that will give you 4 usb ports and 3 firewire ports, it will not make a connection from a usb port to a firewire port, it's basically just a box with all the ports, so that hub would have 2 wires coming off of it...one going to your machine's usb port and one going to the firewire port

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Firewire to USB
Date: 3rd Oct-2005

Sounds like a simple idea – but the technology is different & complex –

You would need to have a translator / converter – the adapter would only adapt the difference in wiring –
USB uses a layered driver model under Windows – with separate drivers for devices & buses that they connect to -

(1st) – USER MODE :
[APPLICATIONS] <Windows API Functions>[WIN32 SUBSYSTEM]< I/O Request>

(2nd - KERNAL MODE :
I/O Request< [CLIENT DRIVERS]<I/O Request>[BUS DRIVERS]<[HARDWARE INTERFACE]>
>[HARDWARE]

A few devices did come with both USB & Firewire Interface early on – but proved difficult to support both –
USB has had a lot of issues with the HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE – That just moving the device from PC to PC did strange things – with its own native interface & HOST CONTROLLERS – but to compound that with Firewire (?)

Jack123