Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Sharing

• Please log in to reply

sallen

sallen

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello,

I am attempting to add an additional computer to an exitsing network, but I am encountering a problem with Internet Connection Sharing.

The network currently has currently has two computer and I am attempting to add a third. The first computer is running Windows XP. It is connected to the Internet and to a router. The second computer is also running Windows XP and it too is connected to the router. This computer can access the Internet.

The third computer, which I am attempting to add is running Windows 98. I have connected it to the router, run the Windows XP network setup wizard and on its taskbar an network connection icon has appeared. When I hover over it it says something like: "Internet Gateway: Connected".

When I double click on Internet Explorer on the third computer a page cannot be displayed error is shown.

I can ping the other two computers from the third one, so this verifies that there is a connection. I have tried to run the "Internet Connection Setup Wizard" from Accessories >> Communications but it doesn't work.

Am I missing a step out between having a connected gateway and connecting to the Internet?

Can anyone offer any help?
Thanks in advance
Stephen

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Have you checked that the 98 has obtain DHCP turned on
Have you done an ipconfig on the xp and 98 to check if they are the same
are all computers in the same workgroup

Edited by peterm, 03 October 2005 - 01:07 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Some versions of win98 have two internet connection wizards, which is very confusing. You want to use the icwoobe and go with the LAN options, you can use the automatic configuaration option. You may also need to open the Network Neighborhood properties and enter the proxy address of your router, especially if you lose the connection from time to time.