Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random

• Please log in to reply

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
every now and then my computer will freeze up and stop everything....and when i move the mouse theres this fast clicking sound

does anyone know whats causing it?

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi itsjustme99, Welcome to Geekstogo

Two questions:

What operating system are you using?

When did this start happening?

How often does it happen?

(OK, three questions) :tazz:

Best regards,

EMCguy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right before the system locks up....are you always doing the same thing? does it lock up right after clicking something?

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I am running windows 98

it doesnt happen with a particular program...but it seems to happen if i open 2 at the same time..

its happened on and off since we first got the computer

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I read about this in a MS knowledge base article but I cant find it again. It was annoyingly vague anyway, something about your computer receiving continuous input from the mouse, hence the constant clicking noise.

try to reinstall mouse drivers from cd.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi, itsjustme99. More questions :tazz:

every now and then my computer will freeze up and stop everything

so from this post and your other posts its a random freeze. Are you getting any error meassages, or is it usually just a hang?

..and when i move the mouse theres this fast clicking sound

does anyone know whats causing it?

View Post

does the clicking noise only happen after the freeze up, or is the clicking noise there all the time?

it doesnt happen with a particular program...but it seems to happen if i open 2 at the same time..

2 programs? 2 windows? 2 websites? 2 beers? :) (the beers one is a joke).

Best regards,

EMCguy

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
yeah its just a hang...and it seems to happen randomly...the clicking sound isnt constant and usually happens as the computer is starting to freeze up...if that makes sense

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Is the clicking sound coming from the computer or the mouse?

Could the clicking sound be activity on your hard drive? Look at the front of your computer to see where the HD light is. Watch it when this happens.

Are you using an internal modem? They sometimes have relays that make clicking noises.

Keep a notebook by your computer, and record everytime you start your computer, when the crash happens, and what you were doing when the crash occurs. Do this for at least 5 crashes. And of course while your doing this, save your work frequently.

We need to know if this is happening once a week, once a day, or every five minutes

(the process were going through here is known as differential diagnosis, in case you're interested :) ).

2 programs? 2 windows? 2 websites?

which is it? I assume you meant two programs.

Keep at it. I'm confident we (GTG) can get a handle on this. :)

Best regards,

EMCguy

EDIT

YOU'RE NEW HERE, SO ILL CUT YOU SOME SLACK. YOUVE POSTED MORE THAN A DOZEN POSTS IN INTERNET AND BROWSERS FORUM OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS, EACH DESCRIBING DIFFERENT ISSUES. IF THIS IS ALL ON ONE COMPUTER, YOUR WASTING EVERYONES TIME BY NOT KEEPING THIS ALL IN ONE THREAD. DID IT NEVER OCCUR TO YOU THAT ONE OR MORE OF THESE PROBLEMS ARE RELATED? :tazz:

If you are still having your "mouse clicking" problems after you get your HJT log cleared, post a much clearer description of your problem back here, and someone might look at it.

IF THESE ARE FOR 12 DIFFERENT COMPUTERS, AND YOUR'RE TRYING TO RUN A REPAIR SERVICE OUT OF YOUR GARAGE, I SUGGEST A DIFFERENT CAREER PATH.
AND A DIFFERENT FORUM :)

AND IF YOUR A TROLL JUST MESSING WITH US, ... dont worry, the universe tends to be just place. :)

EMCguy

Edited by EMCguy, 07 October 2005 - 01:02 PM.

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
thanks for cutting me some slack...ill keep all my problems in the one post from now on...i thought that you could post as many times as you need...as long as it wasnt multiple posts about the same issue...thanx for your help tho...there are heaps of problems that you guys have fixed...and my computer is running alot better

so i appreciate your help G2G ill try to make your job easier for you from now on

thanx again

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Cool. Are you getting it taken care of in malware? I hope so.

Malware is getting so bad now that its almost best to assume if its a windows product with a porblem, then it is assumed to be malware until proven clean.

I wish it werent true, but almost every hardware/software symptom can be the result of malware :tazz:

Best regards,

EMCguy

(sorry for screaming so much in my last post :) )

Advertisements

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
not a problem, it must be a very frustrating job, it is bizzare how many different oppinions i get... my computer is running ok for the time being...there are just a few little kinks...and im getting them sorted out

best of luck with your other posts

thanx again

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i keep trying to download AVG but it finishes at 2.3MB and says the download is complete....but the file is supposed to be over 12MB, i dunno whats causing it...so im downloading avast instead

my hijack log is clean, but no matter what i try i cant download AVG, it says that all the files are corrupt and to download a fresh copy.

do u think its something to do with my computer...or something to do with AVG?

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
also my transfer rate is pretty slow, any ideas on how to make it faster?

thanks for checking into it

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
has your malware helper told you that your log is clean?

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
yeah he said its clean