Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Player sites have no sound

• Please log in to reply

fractalsoup

fractalsoup

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:woot: :woot: :)

Well I'm not giving up yet... :tazz: :woot:

Advertisements

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Have you looked at default playback devices

Click start then control panel, sounds and audio then sounds and audio devices

Suddenly realised (as I have them turned off normally-they irritate me
:) ) that I don't seem to have system sounds either. I've checked what you suggested above, and all my audio devices are working fine. Could this be another clue?:tazz:

Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To clarify, you can hear any or no audio

If not,

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

Visit the manufacturer's site for a suitable driver and any available software

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, post the make and model here before you download anything

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have audio on everything other than flash run sites. I don't know what's happened with my system sounds, and wether it's connected to the flash problem, but when I go into sound set up, the option to test the system sounds is not there.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

OR

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
That first bit is Tweak 6 isn't it? If so...done that!
Will try the later suggestions and see how it goes.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The first bit can be found elsewhere, the differences are underlined

/f : Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.

/v : Displays the name of each file in every directory as the disk is checked.

/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.

/x : Use with NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. /x also includes the functionality of /f.

/i : Use with NTFS only. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.

/c : Use with NTFS only. Skips the checking of cycles within the folder structure, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.

/l : Use with NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the size you type. If you omit the size parameter, /l displays the current size.

/?: Displays help at the command prompt.

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:woot: :woot: :P :P :P :rofl: :rofl: :( :help: :help:

You Sir, are a genius!!! I now have sound in flash player and system sounds are back too (not that I missed those LOL :woot: )

I must aske one more thing though. Any idea what actually went wrong and what may have caused it? I want ot avoid it happening again! :)

Thanks again Keith! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Set system restore points every few days then use disc clean up more options to clear all but the most recent restore point, monthly, provided the computer is running well

Thank You for letting me know

SusieQ228

SusieQ228

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello... I signed up specifically to add that I'm running Win2K and have the same exact problem. Can anyone offer a similar fix for that platform. My challenge, though...I'm not extremely technically savvy. I muddle by OK, but you totally lost me the last few posts. Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try repairing 2000, at least all the files will be in place if you need to do anything else

http://www.microsoft...dc_rec_ztkn.asp

Soul Bleed

Soul Bleed

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am having the same problem at myspace with macromedia. It doesn't always work.

Old Chemist

Old Chemist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Install the K-Lite codec pack, free download, (search Google) Be sure to download the "full" version, and then run the "Codec Tweak Tool"

Start > Programs > K-Lite Codec Pack > Configuration > Codec Tweak Tool

Then check the box next to [Registry] Fix non-working system sound

It should fix the problem (Did for several of us)