Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Windows Version but One "My Documents"

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I am running Windows XP Pro x64 edition. Some of my software is incompatable with this OS, so I installed my old OS--Windows XP Home--into another partition. I have a third partition for storing my data. On the 64 bit version, I've moved "My Documents" to that data drive. If I have "My Documents" in XP Home point the same folder for simplicity, will that screw things up?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

I've been living under this scenerio for about two months now, but I'm finding that it's quite difficult to manage my data from two different locations like this.

Thanks,

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't know whether it would cause issues or not....make a backup of the info and give it a try...

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
No thanks....I'll just wait for another reply.

If a problem does arrise, I may not notice it for a few days, or weeks even. I'm going to play this one safe.

Thanks anyway.

Anyone else?

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I do the same thing with the my documents folder on a windows/Linux dual boot machine. It shouldnt mess anything up, I made my Data partition fat32 because when i booted to linux i could see the partition but could not write to it. but that wouldnt be an issue for you. You could create two folders on your data partition and have each os point to a different one to keep your applications from getting mixed up ex: my documents64 and my documents32

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
todd333: I do have two folders on the data partition for my documents as you describe above. One is for my x64 account and the other is for my Windows Home account. Initially, I was just using my Home account for running PhotoStory 3. Later, I bought a new digital camera. It's software, too, is incompatable with the x64 edition of XP. As time goes on, I find myself putting more and more data in my "My Documents" folder for XP Home.

A lot of times, I need a photo from the other folder. I'm just trying to consolidate the two. NO MORE SWITCHING BACK AND FORTH would be GREAT!!

So, you think it'll work without corrupting my registries and/or data?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think that the only thing that would cause registry corruption would be if it were the actual windows my documents folder, but even then i don't think it would...but since this is a folder you created on a seperate partition (the true windows my documents folder would be located on the partition in which you created the windows instance) i don't think there should be a problem at all...though...i am not speaking from experience...and as you can see from my other post....i like to throw caution to the wind

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
im inclined to agree with dsenette.