Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista is rediculous

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
I think microsoft Vista is terrible, i just looked at the specs, it is well out of town, the amount of graphical memory they want is rediculous, it is a memory eating monster and the cpu it requires is aweful.

The new anti piracy mechanisms mean alot of monitors wont work. And its easily bypassed. I am seriously not impressed. :tazz:

Dave

Edited by comanighttrain, 03 October 2005 - 03:49 PM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Don't install it if you think that. I agree that it uses a lot of memory and requires a pretty nice computer, but that is due to it's graphical engine and some other stuff like that. You could disable features to lower the requirements if you want.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
think what you want it has a whole new graphics engine. It can get monster resolution and look clear. It can make a reg. crt monitor like lcd quality but still run games like crt

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
This thing will either be awesome or terrible for gamers. It sucks up all your graphical memory, but then again the new graphics engine might be good...

chickenman

chickenman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
What a load of **** Microsoft are ****ing ****
I use windows and Linux but there is no way on earth i'll use this

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmm...the new efficiant game engines (a la Halflife 2, battlefield 2) which optomise hardware usage are helping...but if all your graphical memory is taken whats the use?

I think linux could take the gaming market IF it could only establish a decent standard and graphical API. Mind you wine is supposed to be good.

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Not even worth looking at - I've been chanting this psalm for over 2 years now. Microsoft will never get it right and will never get the message. just look at what a mess XP is 4 years on ....and counting.

It's garbage and with every step they take they get worse and less user friendly and I long for the day when a little old man in a shack out in the Mid-West Logs on and he's been the only peron in a year to request a download of their rubbish product - and is met with The Genuine Advantage Gidjet! HA!HA!HA!

Take a Hike uncle Bill - me's saving up for a shiny Fruit Machine from uncle Steve!

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey, what r some specs .. erm , requirements... Could soembody post a link

Just a comment, of course specs are going to increase..
Computers are.... Especially graphics cards... It will become standard to have 256MB of Video RAM... lol, brings back the times when I had a 32KB (if even) 2d graphic card for my 4P... Radio Shack, err, Tandy Corporation... yeah baby, yeah

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Err, XP hasn't been a mess for 4 years... It had problems because hackers FOUND vulnerabiliteies...
Other than that XP has been a Godsend compared with ME

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
I don't think Vista deserves all this bashing...at least not yet. I mean how do we know it's going to be so horrible? It's not even out yet! When it comes out, I doubt HP, Dell, etc. will ship it with their computers unless the computer can handle it, meaning they will make their computers better, faster, etc. Thats just the way I look at it...

Advertisements

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
mac os x tiger is as good as vista and runs fine on 512mb and a slow prossesor

try it out

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Here's a nice link with Microsoft's requirements for Vista.

mac os x tiger is as good as vista and runs fine on 512mb and a slow prossesor

try it out

This isn't anything against Mac OS X, but I would rather build my own computer and be able to boot multiple OSes (Linux and Windows, maybe Mac OS X if I could).
And no, I wasn't saying Vista is bad, because I think that it looks like it will have some great new features. It's just that I will probably have to build a new PC (or get a major upgrade) to run it with every feature enabled.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
i like windows too, just mac better

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yeah, I don't think Windows XP is a bad operating system at all... in fact, I think it is quite excellent

And it isn't fair to judge Vista like that... Of course it is going to have higher requirements... computer technology is changing and so does operating systems... with a slighlty modern system, Vista is going to be kick [bleep]..

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
thanks PI for the link.. I think that was pretty helpful in figuring out what would work with it.. Basically, current configurations would work well with Vista.... and of course more power would mean being able to take advantage of OPTIONAL features

Pretty cool