Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista is rediculous

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
actually hudi, linux has improved alot, so much so, that if you install linux on a new system, theres as good a chance as windows has that all the devices will work properly, also, linux is programmed so efficiantly that it uses less memory and less processor cycles.

And viruses find it harder to do any serious damage to *Nix systems because of the enforced user system. Windows XP assumes every account is an Administrator account unless it is told otherwise. In linux, every account, except root obviously, is assumed to be a basic user account, and only root can make system affecting changes.

It is possible to hack a root account in linux, however it is easier in windows due to windows' trusting nature.

Advertisements

varcsscotty

varcsscotty

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Comanighttrain is right. do any of you actually know anything about linux? if you know how linux works than you would know that it IS built more securely, and in fact Microsoft wants to incorporate serveral of the ideas in linux design into the design for Windows (they may have in Vista, I don't know). If you are unsure of how linux works go to this article which will provide you with some facts about linux.

Edited by varcsscotty, 06 November 2005 - 06:34 PM.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
y'all gonna make me laugh too hard...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't see what is funny.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

I don't see what is funny.

well that makes two of us. Here is my concern, If MS is so secure then why is it that they do the following???

MSN, we all know who they are owned by, used to use BSD for their servers up until about 2 years ago.
MS employees even tell people to use Firefox instead of IE because its more secure
85% of all computers running in MS offices run Firefox, including Bill personal machine.

Bill Gates is one of the people with Firefox on his computer,

so in my eyes there is a serious problem when the co-founder and CEO doesn't even use his own products.

oxygenuk

oxygenuk

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
apparently microsoft say vista is more gaming than anything else

but as some of you guys say about the graphical usage of the windows UI how is this possible lol

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i will give microsoft so much as to say that windows xp will be the best gaming system ever. but i cant say not near as much for vista.

this message is to hudihoo:

<screaming> i wouldent define improving as being more of a power hog, improving is gaining functionality and or performance, but NEVER SACRIFICING one for the other. </screaming> windows xp can and will be able to do everything vista can do, without hoging the power.

most linux systems can do just as much as windows xp, and do it on a 486 machine under 100mhz with a tenth the ram as windows. dont underestemate penguin power.

to see what you could do with all that power, check out this video production software made for high end linux machines, and i give you full permision to start drooling.

http://heroinewarrio.../cinelerra.php3

Edited by Thebinaryman, 08 November 2005 - 12:04 PM.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK, all the last posts since the my last one are COMPLETELY WRONG..
Go check browser statistics, there are actually websites that DO.. You would be suprised how LITTLE people use something other than Internet Explorer...

Bill Gates uses Firefox??? Come on, I am sure u know him to say this of course.

Vista GUI. I think it was posted that you can disable these extra graphics features..

If somebody would have read the posts in this thread... Anyways, completely off-base...

And still VERY hilarious..

Almost everything people have said in this thread is complete hogwash or just a complete failure to understand or process what was stated and what was..

And, Firefox, btw, wouldn't be recommended by MS.. Why, because there are about 20 different browsers that have tabbed interfaces that use Iexplore.exe.. Whoopsie... If they were going to recommend something, they would choose one of those products (Try, Avant, also known as Crazy Browser i think).

I don't use Firefox anymore because it keeps resetting my settings, plugins, extensions and deleting ALL of my bookmarks.. As in, I couldn't find any trace of my bookmarks or settings anywhere.. It just happened all of a sudden.. Firefox restarted out of nowhere and everything was gone.. Just like I had done a clean install after uninstalling Firefox.. :tazz:

I use Avant and have no problems, get to share bookmarks among IEXPLORE and AVANT and CRTAZY BroWser seemlessly. No need to import or export or anything like that.. Shares settings and everything and gives me tabbed interface.

If y'all are going to make a statement, I would suggest that a little research go into the effort.. E.g., spend 30 seconds googling it.. Anyways, just my opinion there. But it makes it a little easy to laugh off what people post when it is all blatantly MADE-UP

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hrmm...i cant fairly comment because i cant verify alot of what others said, but everything i have said has been accururate, as taught to me in uni and from my own experiance.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
binaryman, cinirella looks really sweet!

Advertisements

varcsscotty

varcsscotty

• Pip
  • 8 posts
@in_texas_dallas
I was just wondering if you ever actually touched a linux machine??

also everyone, be warned, linux is not for newbies. windows can be.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hah....but which is easier to install? fedora is stupidly easy

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Bill Gates uses Firefox??? Come on, I am sure u know him to say this of course.

And, Firefox, btw, wouldn't be recommended by MS.. Why, because there are about 20 different browsers that have tabbed interfaces that use Iexplore.exe.. Whoopsie... If they were going to recommend something, they would choose one of those products (Try, Avant, also known as Crazy Browser i think).

f y'all are going to make a statement, I would suggest that a little research go into the effort.. E.g., spend 30 seconds googling it.. Anyways, just my opinion there. But it makes it a little easy to laugh off what people post when it is all blatantly MADE-UP

for point one in the quote from what you said.

that was verified by Bill himself, look here http://www.spreadfir...m/?q=blog/98641
or even here http://www.google.co...fox&btnG=Search

as for point 2 in your quote above, Have you ever talked to anyone from MS? I have and so have many others here. and that is what we have been told by MS tech supports. and tabbed browsing as the only reason has nothing to do with it. They have stated that based on a security standpoint not a tabbed browser standpoint.

as for point 3 you made. I recommend you do your own googling on it. :tazz:

I don't put information out unless I havea.) received it in person (which I have with the firefox recommended by MS)
b.) have done proper research on the subject
the reason I do that is because I don't need my reputation tarnished by someone claiming that what I say is false.

now unless you can personally refute the facts with examples. I would say this part of the discussion is complete.

Edited by Efwis, 10 November 2005 - 01:57 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
FireFox is the second most popular browser after Internet Explorer. Link if you don't believe me, and it is growing to.

You have challenged us to prove what we say, and we have given links, can you give use links to show what you say is true?

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
If you read the article about Bill Gates then it sais he used Firefox a little and said that he thinks IE is better so that whold topic is done and over with and no one made sense. As for windows versus linux. If more people used linux then more people would make viruses specific for linux. so the virus is only a matter of affecting the most users which happens to be windows. Vista will not be a beast. I got to use the beta on a machine with a 2.4ghz celeron with 512mb of ram and a 32mb radeon 345m video card. Not a good video card at all. It ran fine. It only uses the requirement if you get the ultimate edition that uses full 3-D graphics and superior multi-tasking and computing needs such as a heavy gamer or someone that uses it for business that uses high-end equipment.