Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista is rediculous

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hudihoo...

i study computer science at university, the very design of *nix makes it less suceptable to virus. Just as the design of windows makes it more application friendly.

Trust me on this, viruses cant affect linux in such a big way unless your logged on as root and anyone who has a root account and is dumb enough to open a dodgy script fire....

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
comanighttrain is right form what I have read. Can every one please read the pages that these two links lead to, it gose in to great detail on why one is better than the other.

http://www.theregist...ndows_vs_linux/

http://www.theregist...ndows_security/

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

If you read the article about Bill Gates then it sais he used Firefox a little and said that he thinks IE is better so that whold topic is done and over with and no one made sense.

question.

If you made the most noteable browser in the world, like IE, would you also say your product is better????

your right this topic is over with.
however have you ever wondered why windows has so much more viruses, worms etc then any other OS???

the reason is simple.
Linux doesn't allow root access to the system unless you enter a password everytime you go into root. Windows /MS doesn't care about that. If they did then the viruses etc... would have no place to go.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Another reason that windows is more vulnerable is that it allows software to automatically start and run from many different locations. Anti malware vendors have to work much harder to check and disinfect all of those locations.

As I understand it, *nix simply doesn't allow startups from nearly as many locations, making it harder to circumvent security.

It is conventional wisdom that the insecurity of windows is due soley to its popularity, and that virus writers target it for that reason. While there is some truth in that, that is surely not the sole reason for its insecurity.

Windows is a proprietary system, so they do not disclose their source code to the world. Security holes are found there by hacking and reverse engieering their systems. Windows uses obscurity to provide its security, but unfortuntely that will only stop the rank amatuers.

Linux by contrast is open source, with millions of sharp eyes pouring over the code continually, and that process prevented many security holes in the first place, and allows quick fixes for the small number that crop up.

Open source by its nature needs to be more secure, just to survive. Windows is inherently insecure by its design.

Best regards

EMCguy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Linus is harder to make viruses for as it is not as huge a beast as windows its simplicity is its strength you can create a fix for linux much easier than you can for windows as there are fewer balls in the air when it comes to linux, with windows they have to be careful that fixing one thing wont open a vunerability somewhere else.

Firefox is used on all the machines at most unis and council buildings i have been to, its not surprising that people at MS use firefox, and IE is always there its part of the OS, thats why many still use it especially people that just tap in an adress into a explorer window as its convenient.

Anyone with half a brain can see that firefox is a better browser within 5 minutes of use and its better because its a dedicated browser IE isnt its just an extension of windows explorer. And Bill Gates probably likes IE better because he will be using a super customised version of 6 or 7. And the fact that MS hasnt come out and said no no firefox is just crap dont use it or we will void your tech support as some compaines might have done, they are working to improve IE to beat Firefox and that is a good thing for everyone MS hasnt had a good competion for any of there software in a good while and with linux becoming more popular its going to encourage some more work from MS and we as the end consumers can only benefit from this.

maxeem_com

maxeem_com

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i like Opera. :-P

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK, that link says that he tried it once but that IE is better.

I don't think that was the spirit or context that that was explained..

Anyways, Yes, I have played with Linux before, in fact, if I can find a small enough package to download, Redhat's test Linux is too big for me to care to download it.. I am going to install it again to play around with.

I am not saying Linux is bad, but DON'T compare it to Windows!! You WILL lose that argument every time you go there. Like I have said, the surprising thing both MS and LINUX have learned in the past years is that LINUX has made a niche that wasn't where Windows was.. Linux didn't steal anybody's business. fwi

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Anyways, Yes, I have played with Linux before, in fact, if I can find a small enough package to download, Redhat's test Linux is too big for me to care to download it.. I am going to install it again to play around with.

what flavors of linux have you tried?

when you say you're looking for a small package, are you referring to installed size or the size before installation (ISO Image size)?

tell us and we can help you find one that meets your needs. course I would recommend going to our other operating systems forum and starting a new topic there.

OK, that link says that he tried it once but that IE is better.

for that I refer you to my question I asked in an earlier post.

question.

If you made the most noteable browser in the world, like IE, would you also say your product is better????

both MS and LINUX have learned in the past years is that LINUX has made a niche that wasn't where Windows was.. Linux didn't steal anybody's business. fwi

if you were on some of the linux forums, like I am, you would see that people are switching to linux from Windows on a daily basis. and they all have various reasons.its not just security related, which is approximately 80% of the reason they are switching, but other reasons too, such as the better memory management, graphics response, customizing ability, programming language support, and many more reasons too numerous to add.

I just converted 2 of my fathers computers to Ubuntu this weekend. His reason for switching was easy enough. He was tired of updating his computer every week, tired of having to run ad-aware and spybot every week, and tired of defragmenting his hard drive every month. So he now has two laptops with wireless access on Ubuntu. Even my step-mother, who is completely computer illiterate, can understand linux better then Windows.

Yes, Linux has its problems, but when you think about it, what operating system doesn't???

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
yeah no point comparing linux and windows....linux wins just about every time

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I think this topic has more than run its course.

Its going nowhere, is off topic, and full of opinions and slandering.

Thread closed.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Advertisements