Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WAPs and Wireless Routers

• Please log in to reply

Indiana Red

Indiana Red

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a few PCs that I prefer to stay wired as they are all inthe same room anyway and are alredy configured. However my phone line/DSL is in an inconvinant location. My DSL Modem/Router is an actiontec GT704 that has wireless capability. I want to just have my 3-4 PCs on a hub with a wireless access point (like the Linksys WAP11 that I have) to communicate with the actiontec. I fiddled with it all day Saturday with AP modes and SSIDs and channels etc and could never get that leg of the communcation working.
I finally went out and bought another WAP and had it hard wired to the actiontec wireless router. Talk about redundant. Now the 2 WAPs talk to each other just fine in Bridge mode and the wireless features of the router are wasted. Plus my extra $50 or so that I had to spend.
Shouldn't this work with only the 1 WAP at the PCs
This has to be a fairly common set up and I hate to think that Linksys would be so proprietary.

Advertisements