Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Defragmentor? Important?

• Please log in to reply

swingkid02

swingkid02

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I've come across some programs on-line that claim to defragment your memory.

Are these programs actually doing anything useful that a user might notice.

I wonder because it does seem that PC's run slower the longer they are running and sometimes you must re-start in order to get full functioning.

If any of these programs are worthwhile... are there any freeware versions??? most of the ones I've found are around $15

Thanks Guys,

Rob

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
They do nothing at all, as far as I can tell, it is just a way of making money out of telling the user that something fixes a problem that they have it sounds logical but is not true. Rebooting is cheaper :tazz: and better. The reason that using your computer for a long time slows it up is more keeps getting added to memory, slowing things up.

Reading and following This dose do something.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 04 October 2005 - 02:37 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
PageDefrag - downloadDownload - Home PageHome Page
Defragment the Page File and the Registry. "One of the limitations of the Windows 2000/XP defragmentation interface is that it is not possible to defragment files that are open for exclusive access. Thus, standard defragmentation programs can neither show you how fragmented your paging files or Registry hives are, nor defragment them. Paging and Registry file fragmentation can be one of the leading causes of performance degradation related to file fragmentation in a system."

Instructions - Download, Run, Look at the "Fragments" column if any of the items is in more then one fragment select "Defrag at next Reboot", then "Ok" and Reboot.

Notes - If you readjust the Page File size, rerun PageDefrag, otherwise this only needs to be run once. On badly fragmented hard drives with a lot of files, PageDefrag may take a long time to run, be patient and let it finish.

Now as to memory defrag.. not needed. what happens is that over time the system doesn't close handles to items it had in memory so it starts to slow down. for example memory handling was very poor in windows 98, better in windows 2000, and even better in windows xp. On desktop systems I only restart my pc's no more than once a week. at home its because I game a lot and sometimes call of duty crashes. at work its because I do a lot of work with databases and that my pc is the local file server for the techs.