Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Construction Issue

• Please log in to reply

maleb

maleb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am building a computer and having problems with some of the hardware.

Here are the current running specs:
Mobo: Pcchips K8 m860
CPU: AMD Semperon 3100+ FSB 800
Video: ATI Radeon 9200 256mb AGP
Memory: Kingston 512mb pc2700 (333mhz)
HDD: IBM IDE 14gb (from old computer)

I have a DVD burner and a CD burner aswell as an old floppy drive that doesn't work (from an old computer).

These are the parts I am trying to add:
A Transcend 1gb ddr 400 and a PNY 1gb ddr400.
I also have two western digital 80gb sata 150 hard drives.

Here is the first problem:

After I install the memory sticks, the mother board will read them and display the correct amount of memory. When I try to boot, Windows will get through the loading screen and will restart the computer before the sign on screen.

I have tried using the stick that I have that I know will work with one of the other sticks and the same thing happens. I have also tried both sticks, and just one stick in the DIMM1 port.

(I had originally bought memory that was 2.6V and the mobo is only ment for 2.5V so I bought some that were 2.5V)

The second problem is:

I bought a western digital 80gb serial ata hard drive and tried to install it by itself but the mobo insisted on setting up a raid system. I bought a second western digital hdd and hooked it up. The computer started to setup an array. There were some problems with the array I think, and I wanted to set it up a different way so I deleted the array. The computer will now read that there are two drives but it wont read the first one as a valid hdd and says that there are an insufficient number of drives to create an array.

I switched the hard drives and the computer can still only read the same drive, I tried switching the power connecters between the sata and the legacy power cords, and I have even tried a few jumper positions and had no luck.

I have tried installing the latest raid drivers from pcchips website, and I still have the same problem.

If anyone can help me with the problems I would appreciate it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Here is the first problem:

After I install the memory sticks, the mother board will read them and display the correct amount of memory.  When I try to boot, Windows will get through the loading screen and will restart the computer before the sign on screen.

Almost always because the memory is faulty. Run it through a memory check:
http://www.memtest.org/

Can't help on the other issue I'm afraid.