Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Authentication Unknown

• Please log in to reply

mamageek

mamageek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After researching Microsoft and Google, I am unable to locate information relating to a particular problem I'm having with XP Home. I was hoping that someone may have heard about this. The problem is with the service IPSec. In the event logs, it will show that the "authentication is unknown" and the IPSec is shutting down.

This first happened on a pentiumn desktop that had been running perfectly for some time. Then it happened on my Sharp notebook that had also been running fine. A friend asked me to clean up all the unnecessary programs for a new HP notebook she just bought and hadn't been even turned on yet. That notebook did the same thing after it was turned off/on the first time (nothing was modified). I just bought a new Toshiba notebook, and after 1 month, it happened. This is really strange. I have gone as far as completely erasing the hard drive(s) with Secure Erase, reinstalling the original operating system(s), and still have had the problem. I don't understand why this would happen on a computer that was running perfectly when no new programs were installed and no modifications were made, and hadn't been exposed to the internet. All of the computers have XP Home wSP2, Symantec Internet Security 2005, Webroot Spy Sweeper. The HP notebook had Symantec preinstalled only. I have used Hijack This, Adaware, and several other programs, but do not see any spyware or problems.

I was wondering if anyone has heard about this? The only thing in common with all the computers is the operating system and Symantec.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mamageek...Welcome to G2G!

I'd put my money on Symantec as the culprit. If you have a machine that's not being used on the internet, try stoping the Symantec from loading on startup and see if that resolves the issue with that machine. I'd be very curious to know the results. I've seen a lot of Norton/Symantec issues lately and some real issues when Norton is paired with ZoneAlarm.

Note: Do Not uninstall the Symantec application to do this...Uninstalling can be very messy unless done correctly.

wannabe1

mamageek

mamageek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your fast response. I also wondered about Symantec, seems like it started around the Verisign merger! I still use Symantec for my notebook, I did disable it, but it didn't clear up the IPSec problem. I had also uninstalled the program, removed the certificate and it had no affect on the IPSec. Because of the impact the IPSec has, I only use the notebook now for the internet.

There is something else going on that is very strange, and I don't know if it is related. I was going to post this in the Internet section later, but perhaps it would be more appropriate here?

During the attempts to correct the authentication problem, I installed Ontrack SystemSuite, instead of Symantec, after erasing the hard drive, installing the original O.S. What I started seeing on the firewall logs really caught my attention. Whenever I connected to the internet, I got my usual I.P., only the firewall log said I had a 2nd Local I.P. # associated with the computer that belonged to the Dept Of Defense (Dod) via NT Kernel & System. Plus that Local I.P. # had a strange Remote I.P. # connected. (This isn't like your router using a separate I.P. as a gateway; some of the time I just tried dial up, and the I.P.'s don't jive.) Following is 3 different examples:

164.229.245.0 (ports 1424/61576) My Local IP, belongs to Dod
200.213.249.119 (port 65535) Remote IP, don't know who, Brazil Internet

164.229.239.0 (port 6382) My Local IP, belongs to Dod
112.5.145.124 (port 65535) Remote IP, just IANA Reserved

29.105.145.124 (port 64741) My Local IP, belongs to Dod
36.105.145.124 (ports 63675, 63691, 63707) Remote IP, just IANA Reserved

I'm sure there must be some logical explaination, I just haven't been able to locate any information. I was hoping that someone might have some idea of what is going on??