Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Webcam/USB issue?

• Please log in to reply

ltulegal

ltulegal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
First, as a newbie, let me apologize for my lack of 'geek speak'.
I have a webcam for my laptop. After using it for the first time, it was on for about 30 minutes, I would say. Then, I moved my laptop, lost power (loose power cord) and since then the cam will stay on anywhere from a minute to approximately 5 minutes, then it shuts down. (I unplugged to uninstall driver & reinstall and it's still shutting down) This is plugged into a usb port. I've made room so there's enough ram to support it, because I didn't think I had enough ram.
There are a few variables:
I'm running on XP Pro Service Pack 2. When hubby ubgraded the laptop, he did not know how to reformat hard drive, so I've got '98 on the system, as well. The one thing I haven't checked and am now having a hard time finding is the VIA chipset information & upgrading that, if necessary.

When I check the device hardware, it says the cam is working properly, that the usb is working properly. Please don't tell me my motherboard may be dying.
I had a cam before this & it did the same thing, I returned it, thinking it was a faulty cam, but now I think it's my computer. I just want to be able to use this in yahoo messenger, with my friends, but just as they log in to view, my cam dies! Help?

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB Webcam
Date: 4th Oct-2005

Hi- Welcome

1st download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] so we can analyze your PC -
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steeps to obtain 3 [REPORTS]

Report-1:

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Itulegal-CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –2:

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Itulegal-Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Itulegal-Devices-1] & attach to Post

[EVEREST] will assist you in evaluating your CHIPSET – VIA chipset has known USB ISSUES –
Also will show USB Capacity of motherboard -

More info –
1- How old is PC
2- This is an UPGRADE from WIN 98 + you still have Win 98 OS

Attach the 3 Reports to your reply Post – I do not know how well [EVEREST] works with Laptops – may be limited CPU & Motherboard info (?)

Jack123

ltulegal

ltulegal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you in advance...
I'm hoping to reformat the hard drive, soon, but am waiting for an fdisk floppy first.
Last night, I went to via to update the via chipsets but it didn't appear to have updated.

The computer is 5 years old.
Yes, I have Windows 98 os but the computer is operating on XP. (husband loaded xp over Windows 98)

Attached Files

Edited by ltulegal, 04 October 2005 - 02:21 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB Webcam –(2)

Here are preliminary observations –

Your motherboard chipset supports USB 1.1 only – Your USB [HCI] – (Host Controller Interface) is a VIA [UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE] which is a USB 1.1 Controller that manages mostly by software – The PC resources are [IRQ-10] & uses Port Address – [1800 – 181F] –

There may be a conflict with using IRQ-10 – it is heavily shared –
(1) – USB 1.1 – [UHCI] Controller
(2) – Lucent 56K V.90 PCI Modem
(3) – MS [ACPI] - (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) – A power management specification developed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft that makes hardware status information available to the
operating system. ACPI enables a PC to turn its peripherals on and off for improved power management especially in portables. – [THIS MAY BE THE PROBLEM] ****
(4) VIA [AC-97 AUDIO CONTROLLER]
(5) Trident Video Accelerator Cyber-Blade i7

Now USB & PnP – [Plug & Play] were supposed to eliminate these – “conflicts”– They did in a way – I guess we should label them as “disputes” – PnP automatically controls the PC resources & assigns the IRQ & DMA –

There is a BIOS setting that is defaulted to [ENABLE] – It can be set to [MANUAL] but may cause some [REGISTRY] problems – so it is not recommended – But there are some [Geek Tweeks] that may trick the [AUTO(ESCD)] into reassigning the resources – But not now –

We will try to take care of the obvious problem 1st – (Item –3) – MS [ACPI] – Now I am not too familiar with Laptops but this will either be a BIOS setting in the [POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP] or in the [INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS] and/or a setting in one of the [CONTROL PANEL] Folders.

In order to conserve power for Laptops – there is some Power Management – and there probably a setting that wants to turn off certain USB Peripherals – and a WebCam would be a likely choice – Perhaps there may be mention of this in your WebCam manual or on their Web site – And again look in Laptop Manual and/or Web site –

Try that approach 1st –

I think there may be more that can be done – but the fact that [DEVICE MANAGER] indicates that the [DEVICE] is working – gives hope – Also because of the way it became messed up – Yanking Power Cord from Laptop – and you said it had been working for about ½ hour – So this [ACPI] could have taken control & is turning it off – Also WINDOWS does not like to have USB Fast Data Transfer Devices turned off without permission 1st – {Cameras – Drives –Memory Devices )

Now I need to know a few more items about the Laptop –
(1) – How many USB Ports –
(2) – Is printer USB – and is it an ALL IN ONE – (Scanner & Printer)
(3) – Do you use any COM PORTS – LPT Printer PORTS –
(4) – Modem – PCMCIA Card –
(5) – How many free PCMCIA slots do you have –

Here are Web sites of interest –

VIA Web site- Chipset info
http://www.via.com.t...ducts/chipsets/

VIA Info
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

VIA
http://www.viaarena....VT8501&Filter=1

BIOS UPGRADE
http://www.esupport....rades/index.cfm

http://www.phoenix.c...cts/default.htm

http://www.esupport.com/home.cfm

QuickCam IM
http://www.logitech....,CONTENTID=8158

http://www.logitech....CONTENTID=10224

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 04 October 2005 - 10:27 PM.

ltulegal

ltulegal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Topic: USB Webcam –(2)

Now I need to know a few more items about the Laptop –
(1) – How many USB Ports –
(2) – Is printer USB – and is it an ALL IN ONE – (Scanner & Printer)
(3) – Do you use any COM PORTS – LPT Printer PORTS –
(4) – Modem – PCMCIA Card –
(5) – How many free PCMCIA slots do you have –

<snipped for space>

Jack123

View Post

Holy Crap! Lemme try to read everything s-l-o-w-l-y and understand it all! LOL! But, yes, there's a troubleshooting section in the cam that talked about resetting the bios area, I just was afraid to go that route. Thank you, again.

Answering your questions...
1)to the best of my knowledge there is only 1 USB port. (at least, there is only one that a usb memory card or this cam would fit into)
2)The printer/scanner all in one is running on a network that is connected to the pc downstairs, not the laptop.
3)Ports? Isn't that wine? :tazz: (nothing plugged in, additionally)
4)Modem: Wireless card...Lynksys We're on Comcast Cable internet
5)I think I only have one of those slots and it's taken by the wireless card.
(Let me again apologize for my lack of "geek speak")

eta: after it shuts down, if I go to use webcam in yahoo again, or use the quickcam product itself, it says the cam is not plugged in.

Edited by ltulegal, 04 October 2005 - 10:49 PM.

ltulegal

ltulegal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is what I found in the troubleshotting area for the cam, is it what you mean?
If you are using a VIA chipset, the following BIOS settings are recommended:

Power Management set to Disabled

Plug and Play Operating System set to Enabled

IRQs Assigned set to Auto or OS

USB Keyboard set to DOS or BIOS

Write Pipeline Cache (FIC Motherboards and others) set to Disabled

System BIOS Cacheable set to Disabled

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB Webcam –(4)
Date: 5th Oct-2005

Yes I think the one in Power Management is it - you might want to look at web site - they may have [FAQ] Section - that refers to this item -

Jack123

ltulegal

ltulegal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: Now I'm in a deeper problem than I already had. Hubby thought he'd help me and adjusted all sorts of things that I don't even know about and now, not only does the cam shut down, but if I go to watch a little windows media video, the monitor shuts down.
Am restoring the computer in the morning to the point before he did all of the adjustments....which, btw, are not what were discussed in the above. I was having a hard time finding the bios adjustments listed so that's where he stepped in. (he plays Everquest on our other computer, so has had some power load issues & dealt with them)
Also, he called tech support for the webcam & there was an updated driver to download so he did that.
I think I'm going to give up at this point and just reformat the frigging hard drive and hope that works.
Thank you for your help.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic- [Have Device Manager show Hidden Devices] –
Date- 30th Sept-2005

OK – Here are some Guidelines when [Tweaking] PC settings

(1) – Try to do 1 major task at a time
(2) – Have a planned agenda – and a recovery plan – keep notes -
(3) – Keep Notes -
(4) – Keep focused on 1 problem-Keep Notes
(5) – Have a Back up
(6) – Understand what you are attempting to do & always have a [Recovery Plan] – Keep Notes
(7) – Make Recovery Places by Rebooting after each major change – for a quick UNDO – Keep Notes
(8) - Keep Notes

OK – Now lets see what is happening – 1st Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] –

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

2nd – Now we have to Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –

[DEVICE MANAGER] – [Show Non Present Devices] – Prep Process – (1 time only process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (So we get a good [Initial] beginning -

3 rd – Next time you can open [DEVICE MANAGER] as you had always done before - Just set [VIEW] to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES] – This [Viewing Process] needs to be performed for - Every Viewing of [DEVICE MANAGER] –

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [HARDWARE] Tab –
(3) – **Click [DEVICE MANAGER] – Tab – Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices]**
(4) – [DEVICE MANAGER] should show [Hidden Device Drivers] – (Faded gray in color)
(5) – Start your Browsing & Viewing – Close as Usual – But repeat step **(3) on each opening –**

4th – When using [DEVICE MANAGER] – ** Set View to [Show Hidden Devices]**

You have to Double Left Click and./or Right Click each line to expand – to see properties –

Expand Folders -

The [NON PRESENT DEVICE] will be recognized by – Faded Light Gray Print –

Now look for [YELLOW – HIGHLIGHTED] Signs – indicating a [PROBLEM] –

Can you give a list of what was done – The shutting down of monitor is probably do to driver conflict – Probably due to new driver installed –

Give a brief summary about [Non Present Devices] - How many - which folders - names -

May have to use [SAFE MODE] to uninstall the WebCam driver – Can you Post New [EVEREST REPORTS]
Just name them with a (-2) in place of (-1)

One thing that the report did show – your system is a little [MEMORY ANEMIC] - Visit Crucial Web site and have them analyze PC for proper Memory Upgrade suggestion -

http://www.crucial.c...fgr.asp?cat=RAM

Thank you -
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 06 October 2005 - 07:13 AM.