Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 'File Protection' ?

• Please log in to reply

antztudio

antztudio

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When running disc clean up i get a Windows "File Protection" alert.This is a non-internet p.c and is used in my recording studio.It has NEVER been online.The sequencing software is 'genuine'.Any ideas please,Best,Antz
P.S i should add this sp1 system.If there is any more info i need to provide please ask.Its not a showstopper problem,just a small annoyance.

Edited by antztudio, 04 October 2005 - 01:54 AM.

Advertisements

sixpack6t9

sixpack6t9

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I was just browsing through when I saw that you had not recieved a reply. Have you checked to see what file is protected? I had a few of those, and they were nothing more than files that I had put a password on. Others were system files from some software that I installed, and once, the protected file was a backup file. Quirky thing, but probably nothing to worry about. I've had to manually go in and remove the "read only" attribute before I could delete it. I never use disk cleanup, myself, I prefer to remove things by hand. Then run a registry cleaner to remove registry keys for what I deleted. "Regseeker" is an easy to use tool, and it's free.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I get the same thing, I have never been able to work out what file it is that causes this. Cleanup dose do some annoying things to some computers and it might be related to this. I would use CCleanup if you get this problem message about protected files being deleted.