Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

radeon 9800 pro problems

• Please log in to reply

talha_81

talha_81

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey,

My radeon 9800 pro has suddenly started malfunctioning really badly. From the start of the windows loading screen, there are artifacts on the screen. When finally the windows loads the screen becomes a total mess (with evenly spaced yellow or red stripes on the screen) and then after a second or two the PC halts with a blank screen.

Booting in the safemode prevents it from halting but the screen is still a real mess.

I have tried everything from reinstalling drivers, directX and overhauling winXP. I have also tried my card on another PC, the whole problem is still there.

Nothing seems to help EXCEPT when I turn down the AGP-aperture-size to 16MB (as opposed to 128MB) (from MoBo BIOS). In which case the computer fails to detect that this is a radeon 9800, some sort of standard graphics drivers are used which i cant seem to find in the device manager's list, there are no artifacts anymore. I can go up to 1280 X 1024 32bit, But the refresh rate is really low and not under my control. I can browse internet but can 't do graphics intensive things at all. I can't also install the new Catalyst (driver) since it says something like "You should install standard VGA drivers before installing catalyst"

Hope this is more than enough detail ... Please Help in terms of "What the [bleep] do I do now ??", thanx

Talha

=================

P.S.:
------------------------------
History:

My Graphics card was repaired after an accident which i explained in this thread:
http://www.geekstogo...41

But the card has worked fine after that for three months, infact I was playing Doom 3 and Fifa 2005 on it the night before the morning I switched it on and discovered the problem.

------------------------------
PC Configuration:

WINXP pro (SP 2) OS
AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
MSI K8T Neo FIS2R MoBo
POWERCOLOR Radeon 9800 pro (128MB, 256bit) AGP
KINGSTON 2X512 MB DDR PC400 RAMS
ACBEL 400W PSU

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delet key until you enter set up, look for BIOS defaults and load those, press F10 to save changes, type Y to confirm and press enter

If you have the motherboard CD, install the VGA drivers from there

If you do not have the motherboard CD get the correct VGA drivers for the motherboard from the manufacturer's site

The Radeon drivers are at version 5.9, check you have those

You need .net framework with its service pack and then its hotfix installed to download the ATI drivers with catalyst control

talha_81

talha_81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Been there done that. :tazz:

With the BIOS defaults the PC halts right after windows is loaded ... the only thing I can do to prevent it from halting is either reduce the "agp aperture size" to 16 MB or boot it in safemode.

In safemode screen is too messy to understand anything. In reducing aperture size i can't seem to reinstall catalyst.

Although, I'll try reinstalling the motherboard agp drivers again. Yet, I seriously doubt that it will help me to raise the agp-aperture-size to the normal level.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ATI is asking for VGA drivers

They should have default settings when installed