Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connection loss

• Please log in to reply

JAP1000

JAP1000

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I've got a problem with a wireless network connection.

Basically my Laptop i use to connect to a wireless router losses it connection at random and only last a couple of minutes. Signal strength is very good.

When windows tries to search for a wireless connection it cant find one and i have to refresh the screen 5-6 times before it finds it again.

Prior to connection loss data transfer rates drop to 1mbps even at full signal strength. I've tested the wired connection and it works fine, its just on the wireless laptop.

Im using Windows XP Home, Belkin 54g wireless router and a HP Laptop with an internal wireless network card (broadcom). I've tried everything from restarting my cable modem, router, deleting the network card, updating the driver and even doing a system restore to an earlier time, but to no success.

If anyones got any ideas it will be much appreciated. Thanks.
:tazz:

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey JAP1000, Welcome to G2G

One of the biggest challenges with wireless right now is that it is an "open-proprietary" standard :tazz: , meaning that vendor's equipment doesn't always play nice with other vendor's equipment. For best results you need to use the same brand equipment on both ends of the connection.

Try using a Belkin 802.11G notebook card, because without documentation it may be hard to determine if the broadcom card even supports 802.11G.

Another thing to keep in mind is that cordless phones and other everyday items may cause interference with your wireless connection. Try this Link to make sure you have everything you need.

Let me know how you make out.

JAP1000

JAP1000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello brianmil0923 and thanks for the reply, my connection worked fine for about 2weeks and even used it the day before the problem started occuring. Its a broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN and so is the belkin router.

Its working fine at the moment, i'll let you know if the problem has resolved itself.
Thanks for your help.
:tazz: