Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Shut off without Warning

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Presario 2100 Laptop and a few days ago it shut off without any warning, when I turned it back on it said;

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose last known configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

It gives me the options of;

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last known Configuration

Start Windows Normally

I have tried every one of these options and my computer just sits there for awhile and then shuts down.

I don't know if this means anything but a few weeks ago it would boot up and say "Media test Failure Check Cable", and then it was fine for about a month without any problems (until this happened, of course).

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

If my harddrive/computer is a lost cause, is there a way I can get my files off of there?

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welocome to Geeks To Go disasteranytime

Do you ever get a blue screen with a STOP code? Can you post the stop code if you do get it. Was there any thing that you had done to your computer before this happened?