Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Perplexed but Persistent

• Please log in to reply

Ramdu

Ramdu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Last week I ordered an ASUS barebones system from NewEgg.com that runs an Intel 478 CPU. I have built several AMD computers in the past, but this is my first Intel. I also purchased a Celeron D 315 CPU.

The first thing that puzzled me was the heat sink. The bottom of the heat sink had a gray patch of something covering the metal base. I wasn't sure if that should stay on or not, but I took the risk of removing it, cleaning up the metal underneath with acetone, and then applying Arctic Silver 5 like I usually do on other heatsinks. I also put some on the CPU as well and got it in the socket with no problems. I installed one stick of PC3200 DDR 512MB memory, an NVIDIA 9650 graphics card, and attached the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I tried turning the machine on and it would not post. The green LED was lit on the motherboard, but neither the power supply fan or CPU fan moved a bit, NADA, nothing happened at all. I figure it is either the power supply or a dead motherboard.

Based on what I've said does anyone else have any ideas of what it might be and why it won't post?

Thanks,

Randy

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The grey patch was probably a thermal pad.

As to why it won't post: Does your board have a four pin connector somewhere near the processor? The power supply should have a 4 pin connector as well, usually yellow and black. Some boards don't like it if you try to power up when this isn't plugged in.

But as a general rule if nothing spins then it usually indicates a CPU issue. Try reseating it.

Oh and check the front panel connector for the power button as well :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you got the manual for the mobo? That's the most important thing, following the instructions in the manual.