Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer shuts itself down [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wastewater

wastewater

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi folks!

i have a disturbing problem with my machine.
once in a while, while working with my lap top it suddenly starts to beep and 3 of its lights are blinking. after one minute or so it shuts down.
i didn't manage to do anything against it.

i have two other problems which might be related.
a while ago, i was surfing the net unprotected and got infected with all kinds of #%@#.
i managed to remove most of these pests, but my AntiVir now displays the message "can't create a report file" before preforming a scan. then, the scan detects an IstBar trojian (ysb_regular[1].cab) which it can't fix since "infected files in archives will not be deleted or repaired"..
i downloaded and ran the Symantec Cooperation fix tool but it didn't find IstBar on my computer..
i use winxp and still did not update it with the 2p2 service pack ..

i would be gartefull for any kind of help.
cheers,

wastewater

p.s. i posted this request in other support forums and didn't recieve any reply so far...my problem is urgent so please don't hold it against me..

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Please read the first link in my signature and follow the steps outlined there. When you are ready, post the HijackThis log here.

wastewater

wastewater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
greetings greyknight,

thanks for your reply.
as much as i would like to, i can't send you a hijack this log at the moment.
since i had sent my post things have gotten worse.
currently my computer starts to beep shortly after i switch it on and shuts itself down, so i have no oppertunity to use it.
it was like that when the whole thing started, and then it was working again for a while..
if it comes to its senses i could send you the log; otherwise, is there anything to do about it?

by the way, i've already tried before most measures you suggest, such as using ad aware , skyboot and hijack this.
using online databases i found my log to be clean.

hope to hear from you soon..

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Did a live person take a look at your HijackThis log before though? Sometimes those automatic analyzers are not that good...they might stir up more problems actually if you removed the bad entries improperly.

OK, can you at least boot into safe mode then? With or without networking? Run online virus scans if you can get online.

wastewater

wastewater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hmm..no real person looked at my hijack log..i hope i didn't cause more damage..

i tried once to boot into a safe mode but the beeping continued and the computer shut itself down.
i can try again though, and if it works, i'll send you the current log and the previous one.

as for online scanning...well, i use firefox as my browser and i started getting a pop up that says that my browser could not initialize my security settings or something like that..i can't recall the exact message, sorry. anyways it doesn't work.
when i attemted to use IE i started getting nasty pop ups (zonealarm couldn't prevent them) and so i stopped using the net since my computer is vulnerable.

so..i'm quite helpless at the moment..(i'm using another computer to surf, that's why i replied a bit late) i'll try again to start it and hope for the best..

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, we could work on that beeping problem here but I think it's best if you go to the Hardware or Windows Forum instead for this. They will help you troubleshoot this problem. Those beep codes mean something, so post in the Hardware/Windows Forum telling them about this problem:

1. Tell them what kind of computer you have (be exact, for example Dell Dimension 2200).
2. Tell them how many beeps you get and if they are short or long beeps.

That should give them enough information to tell you what's the problem.

If they say it's a hard drive problem, then we probably won't need to do HijackThis or anything because if it's failing then there's no use repairing the corrupted Windows operating system.

So tell me how it went. If you found the problem and fixed it, then post back here so we can continue on. But like I said, if they said it's hard drive, then ask them how to back it up. Otherwise I'll have to tell you :tazz:

wastewater

wastewater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
alright, i'll do that and get back to you.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.