Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete Freaze (C:SS & Starcraft problems)

• Please log in to reply

Xcelerate

Xcelerate

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, i've recently realised that my Counter Strike Source has been FREEZING alot latley, more and more sooner into the game it freezes, the same sound still plays in the background, it looks the same sound for 1 second, the re-loops that same sound OVER, and OVER again... it's really annoying. the thing is when i press CTRL alt Delete u know the program is running in the background because you can see the mouse cursor but not the actual Task manager itself.
Why does this happen? I got good pc specs:
3ght hyper threading
320 gig hd (100 + 220)
2x 512mb ram sticks
and :tazz: a 256mb ATI-Radeon 9600 PRO

Completely flawless, runs the game on maximum visual settings on 40-90 Frames per second. But crrashes? I have no idea why.

My second problem is starcraft Brood War.
Every 40 minutes or so, the game minimizes RANDOMLY without warning and the error report comes up "send error" or "dont send error report". No matter what, it shuts down swiftly.

Now i'm not sure if the recent drivers of the ATI company are causing this or anything. But it would be really good if someone who knows what they're talking about could help me, this is really frustrating. Thx in advance. :) :) :) :)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
doesn not sound like a video card drive issue. make sure your system is not over heating. use some canned air to clean out the fans on the processor, video card, and power supply.

also go into the bios and disable hyperthreading.

update your system board drivers.
run a defrag, run checkdisk.

Xcelerate

Xcelerate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
done and done. Nothing new, maybe the paging file ?? can anyone set paging file for my: 109 gig HDD (23 gigs free)
and my 220 gig hard drive (133 gigs free) ?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
starcraft shouldn't have any issues. sounds like you have the stutter problem with your cs:s... if you think ati is the issue you can try the omega drivers and see how they work for you. have you made sure that our system isn't overheating? no blocked fans, that they (fans) move freely without binding? Insufficient cooling can lead to those issues sometimes.

Xcelerate

Xcelerate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
starcraft DOES NOT overheat, with my beasty machine it wouldnt overheat from SC for a few years on end :tazz:.

Omega drivers... tehy made no difference, and my fans are fine. STill got crashing issues, Steam was of no help (their forums) neither was the SC forums. Definetly no viruses or anything. mmmm...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you can check your hdd for errors. you could also go to http://www.memtest86.com/ to test your memory.

the only other hw issue it might be is your power supply. if your system board supports power monitoring (often the mb manufacture provides a utility for this)

you could also post a highjackthis log here to make sure you don't some spyware causing issues.