Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Applets in firefox

• Please log in to reply

chinaski

chinaski

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Please help!

I have installed java 1.5 and can run applets throught IE.

However, when I try and run one in firefox - no joy.

Within the java control panel there is, under the advanced tab and <APPLET> option but when I try and check the Mozilla and Firefox box I am told that either firefox is not installed or I do not have permission.

I am the Admin on my PC and firefox appears to be fine as it is navigating me to (amongst others) this site.

Any help would be greatly recieved!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In my version of Java I see only an option for IE and "Mozilla and Netscape", the latter of which is unchecked and applets work fine in Firefox.

Mozilla (as in suite) and Netscape (as in Netscape Navigator) are not the same as Firefox, which is an entirely separate entitity altogether, although it does use the same render engine as Mozilla.

Best thing to do: Re-run the Firefox installation and then re-rerun the Java installation.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
actually, if you go into firefox itself to tools-> options and then to the web features item, check to see that the option 'enable java' is ticked.

most of the time this will fix it in windows.

chinaski

chinaski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Thanks. I have tried all these things but no joy!

As aside I can not get java applications to run either. The weird thing is that the will complie (javac) but will not run.

I am just at a loss as to where to turn fir help....

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
that's odd. you have the developer's kit installed? then I'd try reinstalling the java runtime. also make sure you have the newest version of the jre too. I know they keep updating it every now and then.

Edited by Thef0rce, 04 October 2005 - 03:19 PM.

chinaski

chinaski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have done this but it will not play.

The page does not give an error message, just a blank page. Applets run fine in IE (which I think handles java diffrently)

I am rapidly loosing my hair! Really do not want to return to IE

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I mainly use IE for java, I feel that its one of the very few things that IE seems to handle better than the other browsers.

mozilla has a java faq here: http://plugindoc.moz.../faqs/java.html

alternatively do a google for 'java does not work in firefox'

chinaski

chinaski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

After some reading I copied over some dll that firefox did not install.

All cool now

:tazz: