Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vonage with Broadband Cable - Disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

MFeddersenRN

MFeddersenRN

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi! I have had broadband internet for a couple of years now. My cable modem is a 3Com U.S. Robotics Cable Modem CMX. I recently added Vonage telephone service through broadband. It is a Linksys Broadband Router with 2 phone ports model rt31p2.
I now frequently have dropped telephone calls and often my internet just "shuts down". The power light is on the cable box but that is it. I unplug the cable modem, replug it and it works fine (for a while). I have done the troubleshooting on the vonage website but it doesn't help. How can I tell if this is a software or hardware problem?
Thanks,
Marcee

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is there any indication that the router is physically turning off? any noises? any lights turn off? does it just seem off?

how does the router get it's ip address?

MFeddersenRN

MFeddersenRN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It gives no indication whatsoever that it's going to turn off and it mostly seems to happen when you are not at the computer. I believe it got the address when I installed the software for Linksys router that came from Vongage.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..i meant more like....is the router actually off...not are you getting warning that it's going to turn off