Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Creating a web server

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hi there friends:

been a long time since i posted here, have been busy with work and class as usual. As a part of my Software Engineering Group project - we have been asked to create a big DataBAse for a whole school system. Our group is mostly newbies and freshers and I am the lead for setting up the server and to act as System Admin. The university has is giving us space on their server and am setting up a system in the lab to act as our server. Some of the guys want PHP/MyAdmin on there.

I was wondering if it is better to run Windows or Linux, of which i have very little experience. I know that linux is more secure. but is it all easier than windows to setup this server on. Also what distro of Linux would u guys suggest - i have Ubuntu 5.04 and Mandrake LE 2005 at the ready.

Hope that you guys have some words of advice for me and can put me in the right direciton

thanks

Advertisements

cappetta72

cappetta72

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
if you are setting up the server within your schools server than you should be able to access no matter what platform you are using...

I am doing something similiar in my software engineering class, only I am making a version of the game risk. Using sockets for the server/client.

as far as the database is concerned I have limited abilities in that but I know of Access and Oracle are most common

pgarcia418

pgarcia418

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I would definitely go with Windows. It's much simpler. If you need help there is an ebook that teaches you everything about hosting a website on your own web server. You can get it at: Setting up a Web Server