Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Quick CPU Question

• Please log in to reply

boob

boob

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
This is a bit of a novice question, but one I am confused on none the less. I am studying up for the A+, and book one says:
The lower the number on the cache (L1, L2, L3), the closer the cache chip is to the CPU.

Book two says that L1 cache is used for input going into the CPU and L2 cache is used for the output coming out of the CPU and going onto the system bus. It states nothing of L1 cache being closer to the CPU than L2.

I believe the 2nd book to be correct. Can someone please explain?

Thank you for any help. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
don't quote me....but i think they are both right....just giving different descriptions, one is giving you a physical location and the other is giving you the useage

boob

boob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I see. So is L2 cache always external or is it sometimes internal?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I see. So is L2 cache always external or is it sometimes internal?

View Post

If you are asking if the l2 cache is internal to the cpu... then yes it is these days. In the old days ( 486/pentiumI/K6-2 ) the l2 cache was on the motherboard not in the chip. Generally now I believe ( NOt real positive ) L3 cache is on the motherboard. However things are changing all the time.