Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Hanging problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First, let me say I have 4 year college degree in computer science under my belt, so I know computers inside and out, but this problem has me stumped beyond belief.

I have run Windows XP since it came out, with no problems at all. But after a system crash and a reinstall, I've had nothing but problems plaguing my computer concerning windows's performance.

My problems can be described as twofold: First, settings seem never to be saved. I can select my updates to auto update every day, but every few minutes it will go back to "turn off updates". This makes receiving updates nearly impossible. Microsoft antispyware, every time I click on it, goes back to the setup screens. However, each time I run a scan, it reports no threats. Firefox is never the default browser. My screen resolution, themes, and colors are saved however.

Second, programs-including explorer-hang at the strangest moments. In any app, like Winamp, Nero, etc, whenever I try to browse directories for a file, it hangs on trying to browse directories. (Example: I select "burn image" in nero, and my documents come up, but if I try to click on the pull-down bar for another directory, or I click on "my computer", it hangs. The same goes for any program.)

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can go a couple of ways

1. To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

Just as quick

2. Try here

Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I would also download and install Motherboard Monitor and watch the temps. If Keith's suggestions don't help, I would start diagnostically swapping out hardware, too, especially the memory.