Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

built new pc, 90 second boot...

• Please log in to reply

hoboscratch

hoboscratch

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just built a brand new machine, I'm wondering why this 2.66 machine is slower to boot than my 1.4 sitting next to it. Here is what I built:

2.66GHz P4 socket lg775 w/HT
Asus P5S800-VM
80gb seagate sata
lite-on 52x cdrw
thermaltake 420w ps

Built this for a customer as a budget machine, I'm wondering if the motherboard is the weak link here. It seriously takes 90 seconds to get to the desktop. There are quite a few pauses for 5-10 seconds as its loading. I am wondering if something might be set in the bios to cause such a slow boot time. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What kind of diagnostics does it run? I have and HP with XP that takes nearly five minutes because it runs a full suite of diagnostics. Also, after you installed did you defragment? That will put the system files closer together on the HDD and speed things up a bit.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
how quick does the 1.4 boot?

How much ram the 2.66 have?

Im guessing its in the software.

hoboscratch

hoboscratch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry, 512mb ram. interestingly, i just installed xp on a ide hdd and it boots in 30 sec....

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I bet its the boot priorety in BIOS, it has to go through everything for the sata, but the ide defaults to the top...

hoboscratch

hoboscratch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Whoops! it was my fault. In device manager I noticed there was no scsi controller, under IDE there was a Dual Channel PCI IDE etc etc. Let windows update and find a driver for that and bam, good to go. Figured that woulda gotten installed automatically or with the mb driver cd, but apparantly not.