Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Delete File Folder

• Please log in to reply

CharlesZ

CharlesZ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was trying to rip a CDR into mp3 files on to my computer using mmJukebox and the process failed for the most part. Because the files were all messed up I decided to delete the folder. I couldn't... but I was able to delete the mp3's inside.

When I double click on the folder I get this messege:
"F:\Music\DJ Shadow\Endtroducing\DJ Shadow\Endtroducing.. refers to a location that is unavailiable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different file location."

The problem is that this is my hard drive - not a removable disk. I am connected to the internet if you received this messege. And I can see other computers in my network. When I do a complete system search for this file name I don't find any other results (other then the Endtroducing folder that this folder is a sub directory of.)

When I try to delete the file I get this messege:
"Cannot delete file, cannot read from source file or disk"

-defragmenting this volume did not help.
-mmJukebox tells me it can't add the file to the library because the file format is usupported.
-the size of this file (in properties) is 0 bytes.
-there are no dates for its creation or modification
-restarting my computer does not make any kind of difference.
-closing any apps which might be trying to access the file does not make a difference.

What do I do?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
MoveOnBoot is pretty good about deleting stubborn files right before Windows starts.
http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
If MoveOnBoot doesn't work, you may want to scan your hard drive for bad sectors. Open My Computer, right-click your drive, then go to the Tools tab and click Check Now... under Error-checking. Make sure to check both boxes. It will most likely have to run the next time you restart your PC, and it will take a while, so don't do it if you need your PC.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Delete it in safe mode, or from the real Admin account. I would use MoveOnBoot first, too.

Johanna