Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't get this to work

• Please log in to reply

Cheyenne

Cheyenne

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't get my start menu and task bar to appear on my screen as well as all of the icons. My screen keeps coming up with just the wallpaper. everybody else that has an account on here, which is one other person his start menu and task bar appears only mine does not. I tried to erase my account but it won't erase it keeps saying that it's a problem. I tried making a new account but the start menu and task bar does not appear on them either. Any suggestions you could make will be freatly appereciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your xp cd?

Cheyenne

Cheyenne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm really new to this computer thing so I don't know what xp cd is If your askin do i have cd rom then yes

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If this is a recent problem, try System Restore. You can access it at boot by tapping the F8 key and selecting it. (I realize you have no start button) There are other ways, if that doesn't work for you.

If you suspect a virus or malware to be the problem, go here:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html
You may need some admin priveleges to run some of the scans.

An SFC (System File Check) is next.
Start > Run > type cmd then type
sfc /scannow
(note the space) You will be prompted for your XP cd.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Johanna