Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem not recognized

• Please log in to reply

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
windows is not recognizing my modem. I put in a brand new U.S. Robotics 56K V.92 modem in my computer yesterday. nothing. I installed the software that came with it. nothing. I tried all the PCI slots. nothing. I tried to run the new modem wizard, but it couldn't find anything. nothing. please help.
thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Maybe just a bad modem I installed lots of US Robotics and when they are not recognized by the system after trying another pci slot I found the modem to be bad, it happens from time to time.

In device manager under system devices are there any yellow marks?

Rick

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Doby is most likely right and the modem is bad, but have you tried to go to ADD NEW HARDWARE in the CONTROL PANEL?

Just a thought as a last ditch effort to see if your computer will recognize it. If it doesn't, not all is lost, modems are a dime-a-dozen these days and you can find one pretty cheap, less then $10.

Fenor

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
yes I tried every kind of add new hardware on windows. thanks for the help.