Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM mixup

• Please log in to reply

malerba28

malerba28

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a microATX board and i currently only have a 512 stick of DDR SDRAM pc3200 in one of the two slots.

Could i go and buy a 1 Gig stick of the same make and brand and have them be completely compatible?

What are the guidelines for this subject?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
In my motherboard I first had 2x256 sticks then I bought 2x512 sticks. It all works fine together. If it is a newer motherboard it will support it. If it is the motherboard you listed in your sig at the bottom then yes it will work. On older celeron systems that were around the 1ghz to 1.4 ghz range you might have problems and it will probably only recognize 512 mb ram.

Let me know the motherboard your wanting to install more memory is different than the one you listed in your sig.

malerba28

malerba28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes that is the Mobo i was refering too.

Thanks for the help.

Malerba.