Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home networking between XP home & ME

• Please log in to reply

asilvius

asilvius

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have wirless home network set up. Desk top (xp) and lap top (ME). I can get on the internet from both computers. I can see the shared files on the desktop from the laptop. I can't see the laptop from the desktop. The computer doesn't even show in the workgroup computers even though both computers have the same workgroup name. I am running XP firelwall and the laptop isn't listed in the exceptions. Is that the problem and if so how do I change it. I haven't been able to figure that out. Thanks for any help. Naturally it is the files on the laptop that I need to use from the desktop.

AS

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Check your firewall logs to see if the XP machine is blocking the ME machine. Most of the time that is the problem.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
The laptop [your ME system] does not need to be listed in exceptions on your windows XP firewall, if you have file/printer sharing enabled on the XP system, the firewall auto lets through the traffic.

Check to ensure your ME system has all security updates installed as well; try this:

From XP system, ping your ME system using computername and IP address; does this work?

If so and you still can't connect to the laptop(ME) system, try to Map a Network Drive FROM your XP system TO the ME system. DO NOT use the network search/browse, manually type in the path to the shared folder on the ME system

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
this is tricky even though they are both windows they are different xp and ME are probably more different then any other windows ME was way different where as the rest just got better. You have to know what you are doing with different OS. I am about to be cisco certified in about a week and a half and i it took me 4 hours to get XP to ME then i shut down and it didn't work on the next boot i just installed XP on both. It is even harder to do wireless.

asilvius

asilvius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have found my problem and it works very slick. They trick seems to be in getting the sub mask set the same on both machines. Thanks for all of your help

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yep, you can have workgroup name the same all day long, but if you're on different subnets, ain't shiite happening.............lol