Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems W/ XP & connecting to ISP realted Pages

• Please log in to reply

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I started out having problems connecting to web pages that belong to my ISP (Verizon.net). Along with this problem is that I cannot retrieve my verizon.net email through either outlook or web mail. I have no major problems otherwise connecting to the internet.

At startup, a Fax program is trying to install. I keep getting Windows updates for Outlook that are unsuccessful in their attempts to install, and even though McAffe is running, at start up I am warned that no anti-virus software is running on my system (when I open the Security Center, it indicates that McAffe is running).

My first guess was Malware, so I went to that forum and ran the following:

McAfee Virus Scanner
Ad-aware SE
Spybot S&D
Ewido
Trend Housecall
TrojanHunter
RegSupreme Pro

Then, I recieved some help which can be found here.

After many unsuccessful attempts to solve the issues I was having, the topic was split and I was given some advice here.

I did a Windows XP repair and unfortunately, that did not help. In fact, my system actually starts up slower now than ever before. I'm really frustrated by this. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, type prefetch, stop the search when the folder shows, open the folder, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then click to clear all but most recent restore point, click OK then confirm

From system tools run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
thanks for the response.

I followed your instructions exactly as you gave them, yet there is no change on my system. Startup takes nearly 3 minutes (when I first built this PC, it took 19 seconds), and the fax installer still runs.

I still cannot connect to my ISP's mail server, nor can I connect to any of their web pages. I can use the internet otherwise with no problems.

Tune Up found 479 registry problems which were corrected, and disc clean up & defrag cleared out some extra space as well.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the server require authentication

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
no.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have Verizon said anything

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
they've told me that I must have a virus or spyware blocking their IP's. Been through that forum & they sent me here.