Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reset System Restore? [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dathan

dathan

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi! Your expert Trevuren helped me remove "updatecenter.com PS Guard" malware. I am most thankful!
You can find the posts at: http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost
Trevuren's final advice was to Reset and Re-enable System Restore.
If I do that I lose ALL the Restore points.
Is there a way to just remove any Restore points during my malware period, so that in case I need to Restore I have a Restore point to use?
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Kindest regards, Dathan

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Dathan, the whole point of the exercise is to remove all those old restore points which are full of malware and to which, now that you are finally clean, you would never want to restore anyway.

Once, you go through the exercise that I described in my closing remarks, you will have a brand new restore point with a malware-free system to fall back upon if ever needed instead of some infected system that you seem to want to keep.

I strongly urge you to follow my recommendations.

Regards,

Trevuren

dathan

dathan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Trevuren: Will do. My hesitation was that I would be giving up a way to go back to when my computer was new and also clean. Two more questions, if you would be so kind to answer: Should I uninstall any of the programs you suggested I install to clear my system? (SmitRem, Panda, HiJackThis) And, I am right in thinking this is a good time to get XP SP2? (I have SP1 now) Thanks once again, Dathan

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
You can safely DELETE all those programs.

This the perfect moment to move to SP2.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.