Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error with online game

• Please log in to reply

npiatt

npiatt

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi! Well, I hope someone has heard of this mystery of mine. I'm having problems running the game World of Warcraft. I used to run it on dial up, but now that im on cable a year later... it doesn't seem to like me anymore. Here is my problem. When I load the game, pick my character and finish loading into the online world, the instant I get in and should see my character, my computer freezes. But it doesn't stay frozen. It will freeze for about 5 seconds, unfreeze for maybe a second and a half, then freeze again for 5 seconds... so on and so forth. I can do anything I want while it is unfrozen, but when it freezes, the computer screen locks up, mouse won't move, all your typical freezing symptoms. Eventually I'll lose an internet connection, and I'm forced to restart, in which case it works fine till I try again. I thought it might be my network card, but I have played the game on it before with no problems (i was at the time on windows 98, now I'm on XP). I've got AVG free edition, and my computer seems clean (nothing found). I can play other massive multiplayer online games, such as dark ages of camelot or final fantasy xi, but I am having the hardest time with world of warcraft. I also experienced these freezing fits while using a peer-to-peer downloader to obtain the world of warcraft update patch. If I disabled my peer-to-peer connection, it was fine (slow as a snail however). Any insight to a possible solution would be very helpful, I'm almost to the point of buying a new network card, but seems like waste of money since up til now, mine worked just fine. (I use limewire to download, which I was told was a peer-to-peer connection, and it works just fine) Thanks for the time.

Nick

Advertisements

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
hmmm... sound like it could possibly be your graphic card becuase when i swiched 98 to xp windows didnt install the right driver for my graphic card and it lagged alot have you tried downloading a drievr for your graphic card?

Edited by chirp, 05 October 2005 - 09:42 PM.

npiatt

npiatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have installed drivers for my graphics card, I put in 'official' driver's CD and got them off there (Nvidia Gforce something or nother). I just installed the game on my laptop, and it went on just fine, and I have no problems playing it. I can play the game if I switch to a dial up connection (I tested this after posting), so I guess I may have answered my own question as to what the problem is... I only have my problem when I try to run through my network card. But, I still don't understand what is happening that causes my computer to freeze up for a few seconds, then work for a second and freeze up again... continuing this pattern until I force it to restart. I've had this happen in the past, but I've never found an answer to what is happening.