Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ActiveX problem

• Please log in to reply

ginlover

ginlover

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

Hi

I have been trying to download some smileys to use in my messenger, and some games that I like to play, but everytime I go to try and download them I can't get to the page. It says restrited page and I have not put this in the restricted sites. I had the smileys a couple of weeks ago, and then I found a lot of spyware which has been removed and there is no sign of any now. I have AVG anti-virus. I have run a clean sweep. IE-spyad, spysweeper and I have Ewido (trial version) installed. I have ActiveX and Sun Jave checked. I have tried to install the ActiveX for certain sites that I want to use, but when I try to download a box keeps coming up saying: My security settings will not allow this to be downloaded, and I can't seem to get them out of the restricted sites.

Can anyone help me please?

I have Windows XP, IE -6 Sp2.

Thanks very much,

ginlover

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Alter your security settings for the Internet Zone.

Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Select Internet Zone up the top -> Click on Default Level.

Restart the browser.

ginlover

ginlover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I did as you said and then tried went to smileycentral.com and the page still says it is a restricted page. I have downloaded smiley's from there before. I have not put it on the restricted sites.

My trial version of AVG anti-virus expired, so I downloaded Etrus anti-virus.

Now I have a toolbar on my browser that says: freeload toolbar that I cannot get removed. I tried to uninstall it and it won't uninstall. I did not install this toolbar.

Hope you can help on both of these problems.

THanks again,

ginlover

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Toolbars that won't uninstall when asked are almost always malware, as are websites that keep themselves in the Trusted Zones section. Post a HiJack This log in the other forum and somebody'll take it from there.

jayfourj

jayfourj

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, thanks.