Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting AVI to DVD file

• Please log in to reply

masales

masales

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Please could someone help. I have a problem as to where I have downloaded many avi files however I am unable to burn them onto DVD.

Please could someone help with this query?

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Sadly this isn't as easy as you would hope. DVD movies are encoded using the MPEG2 standard which is completely different to AVI. Therefore, you need to convert (re-encode) your AVI's to MPEG2. Then, you need to author your DVD to create DVD video files which can include menus chapters etc.

An easier option might be to burn to VCD or SVCD. I know that Nero can take AVI's and burn then to VCD or SVCD easily.

If you really want to go to DVD, there are many products out there to help with the conversion and authoring - a google search will yield thousands :).

I use the free TMPGEnc encoder to convert and then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to author the DVD.

I know that other companies such as ULead do many similar products (e.g. DVD MovieFactory). Also, Pinnacle are well known in this market.

Good Luck :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Convert the compressed .avi files to uncompressed (and very large) rgb.avi files and then convert those files to whatever final format you want. That will give you the best video quality and the conversion will be the simplest possible.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

There is a great freeware program called "Avi2DVD" that is made specifically to do this task! It can use a number of freeware Mpeg2 encoders and even now has functionality to create basic DVD menus and create an ISO image file that is easy to burn. You can check out the homepage here:

http://www.trustfm.n...areAvi2Dvd.html

I have recently started using this program and have it found it easy to use and straight forward.

Cheers,
Tom