Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router firewall good enough?

• Please log in to reply

jalyons

jalyons

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm using a Linksys NR041 router with WindowsXP. Is the firewall on the router good enough to keep my computer safe, or are additional firewalls a must? I've heard both sides on this...some say the router's firewall is enough (and better since it won't be fighting with another), some say no way is that alone good enough. I'm using XP's firewall with the router right now but will be installing Norton's Security Suite (ZoneAlarm caused huge problems with web surfing...possibly interfering with the router?). If I turn off XP's firewall and only use Norton's and the router's, am I asking for problems or is it just a matter of configuring it properly? Thanks for any advice on this...better safe than sorry, but hopefully can be safer without being sorry. :tazz:

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey Jalyons, Welcome to G2G

The router firewall is enough, if you are able to configure it properly. Some low end router-firewalls do not let you add any configuration and just come out of the box as is On the PC side, you do not want to run more than 1 firewall. They may conflict with each other so either disable XP's firewall or do not load symantec, zonealarm..etc

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You only need ONE firewall, and a hardware firewall is the best, which in this case is your router. Any more then that and it's overkill and will just slow down your computer. No ordinary home user has anything worth anything on their computer so there really is no need to be over-paranoid. If someone really wants to get into your computer, it doesn't matter what you do they'll get in. But as long as you don't have anyone that you know that hates you bad enough to do something, then don't worry about it. I would suggest you ONLY install the antivirus program with Norton Security Suite, because the rest is garbage unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, because it can hose your system good and make you think you've been attacked when you actually haven't.

Fenor

jalyons

jalyons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok then! Those are the answers I was hoping for since have had probs before that were most likely caused by overkill on my part. Thank you both for the good advice and for the Norton's tip. This site has just moved to the top of my "Best Sites" list!

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I would agree that having 2 SOFTWARE firewalls is overkill and can cause conflicts, but having a hardware firewall (Like on a router) and a personal software router, like ZA can increase your security, as most hardware consumer firewalls will not block specific programs trying to send OUTBOUND traffic, which is an important feature of the ZA software firewall; plus, running a router firewall and a personal software firewall, in my experience has not ONCE caused a conflict. I personally recommend using the combo - hardware/software to my clients.

Not sure where all this talk about overkill came from.......................

EDIT: The ZA firewall will AUTO disable the lame ONE WAY [Inbound] BLOCKING XP firewall by default during install

Edited by kd1966, 05 October 2005 - 06:33 PM.

jalyons

jalyons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Uhoh.
Well, I'm still a little leery of re-installing ZA because it caused problems before. Very slow web surfing on most sites, and some even froze up forcing a Ctl/Alt/Del and rebooting. It may have been something else causing all that, but it's not happening since I uninstalled ZA.
Not sure what to do now. :tazz:

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Reading back on your first post, were you using the FIREWALL ONLY? or were you using the ZA PRO suite?

If you were using the suite, THAT is most likely the reason your internet was slow, and if you go with Norton, in all liklihood, you will again experience slow internet

jalyons

jalyons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've used ZAPro for a few years and upgraded to the Suite a few weeks ago. You're absolutely right...I didn't have near as many problems with just ZAPro, but even then there were problems. I'm now using Norton's AV (which seems to be working much better on XP), Spyware Doctor, the router's firewall, and have turned off XP's firewall. Due to the advice here, I've nixed the Norton Security Suite idea. All is well & running like a top. Just hope I'm protected enough without having to upset the "system" again.