Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FEAR!

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hey people. i NEED to be able to play FEAR when its out but i sincerely believe my graphics card will need improving! i dont really wanna spend over a hundred pounds tho, so am i stuck? ive got a 128 gforce 5600 just now, 3.2ghz 4600 dimension with 1.5gb memory. apparently a dell dimension cant run anything more than 128mb in way of grahpic cards, is this right!?

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I don't see why a Dell Dimension should be limited to 128MB!

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
i have a dell dimension and my computer can handle FEAR without shadows and a bit of slowdown with some effects so i dunno if yours will be ok. try the demo and my graphics card sucks too

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Should actually work... the graphics card you have MIGHT play FEAR as it does require a high end card but i dont see why your Dell Dimension cudnt have over 128MB in video memory i think thats just plain stupid really never heard so much rubbish

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
thats what ive been told by someone who works for dell tho. i emailed their techincal dept an they told me my 4600 cant support higher than a 128 card. think theyre just sayin that??? what kinda card should i look at gettin to handle FEAR comfortably then? cheers people

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive seen it when helping people that dell have said that, but as far as i know they are talking out of there posteriers. I helped somone who put in a 256 card and when they did there wasnt any probs to my knowledge.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok, so itll prob work then. what kind acard would i need to play fear at most of its capabilities, but also without breakin the bank! am i dreamin if i think i can get one for about £100?

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
i'm looking for one around the same price too but people stopped replying in that thread so help us here!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a great place to look is www.newegg.com or www.bizrate.com or www.tigerdirect.com

look for the card you want at the price you want

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
is this card any good for new games...

"Club 3D Geforce 6600 256Mb Ddr Agp Dvi Tvo Retail " its 80 quid on amazon... if not whats best? its gotta be agp and for about 100 squid! cheers

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Well Gritbox i have the GeForce 6800Ultra and that plays FEAR very Nice try in between the Geforce 6200 to the Geforce 6800 Cards or Ati radeon if you like them

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
yeah someones recommended the X700PRO. whats better of 6600 and that?

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Well the Geforce 6600 is a great card for most 3D games and the ati card you pointed out is an excellent choice i think anyway try this site www.komputerkrazy.co.uk if you are in the UK >> ££££ (Pounds) lol...But if you want to supercharge your gaming go with Nvidia 6800Ultra the clock speed on that is excellent

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Hey gritbox i seen a Nvidia Gigabyte Geforce 6600 Turbo force edition video card for £79.54 that isnt a bad price heres where i found it http://www.pricegrab...card&rd=1&skd=1

Good luck

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
ebuyer.com isn't a bad site, I got most of my parts from there 18 months ago.