Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FEAR!

• Please log in to reply

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
help him out seeing as he started this topic not me, anyway i've made another topic about graphics cards so reccomend any for me in there for black and white 2 and FEAR thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
grit, as long as you have an available agp slot then you can upgrade. you may not be able to go to a nvidia 7800 or 6800 ultra as the power supply doesn't have enough wattage to support them.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok cheers. i just wanna be able to run FEAR without any slowdown at all, and if this recommeded card will do that then iom happy! cheers

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok, im gonna go for the Nvidia Gigabyte Geforce 6600 Turbo force edition video card . quick question tho, whats diff between a 256 card and a 128? is 128 sometimes better?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
256 MB is alot better than 128MB. Its how much memory the card has in DDR or DDR3 ect....

F.E.A.R will still slow down abit with a 6800 gt but not much. A 6600 will be able to run it, it will automatically auto detect the best settings for your card. If it runs sluggish at all just lower one setting at a time.

Edited by jrm20, 11 October 2005 - 04:21 PM.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok, but all i want to know is will it still be jittery or sluggy like it is on my current card? im not going to go out and pay all that money for a card if its not going to improve my performance that much

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The 6600 turbo force edition will be alot better and faster. It wont be choppy like your old 5200 thats for shure. LOL!

You mis-understood me, I didnt say the 6600 turbo force was slow, its not its a good card.

Im saying that even a 6800 ultra will even get choppy at certain points in the game for split seconds. F.E.A.R. takes alot of resources.

You will be happy with that card. Its a good deal. The 6600 that you want will be 4 times faster than your old card. Always look at the gigabytes per second of the card it is most important. It will play fear well at auto detect settings. It will run in the next setting down from high settings. It will look good.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok thanks a lot for your help. so, to make one step up to a better card how much would i need to pay then?? thanks

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
the clock speed aint 4 times faster tho...

Item Code : GCG-AN66256
Item : GigaByte 256Mb nVidia N6600 DVI,TVo, AGP8x Graphics Card
Brand/Model : Gigabyte GV N66256DP
Graphics Engine : nVidia N6600
Video Memory : 256Mb
Core Clock : 300MHz
Memory Clock : 550MHz
Vertical Refresh Rate : 60-240Hz

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I never said the clock speed bro, remember me talking about the GB/second. I was talking about that and even put that in the last post.

Anyway I looked hard looking for you a better card that is not much more that will fit in you computer.

You need a 6600GT it is faster than the 6600 turbo force edition and it has 16 Gb/sec bandwith which is good. The 6600 turbo force edition is only 12% faster than a regular 6600 i found out. It is very hard to find info on the 6600 turbo card.

Found a great deal for you.

http://misco.co.uk/p.....20OUT DVI.htm

You will be happy with this card.

It is rare to find a 6600 gt with agp 8X and 256 mb ram

this is the card for you man and you will love it. :tazz:

Advertisements

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
good man. so the clock speed isnt that important? i do really appreciate ur blood and tears!!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
well yes the clock speed is important but the Gb/sec mean gigabytes per second and it is the overall total bandwith of the card.

get the 6600 gt